Re: Luscinia megarhynchos in the wind.

  • freitojos
    Message 1 of 66 , May 1, 2012
      TomR,
      Precious the guide instructions,SPEA here in Portugal with Gonçalo Elias and others make the most instructive walks,even we make one with mountain birds in Portugal, unfortunately this year I could't make none of them. Enjoy.
      José

      --- In naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com, "tk7859" <g0sbw@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jose and the Group
      >
      > --- In naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com, "tk7859" <g0sbw@> wrote:
      >
      > > Over the next 10 days I plan to go on two more walks but I think I will take along a more directional mic (ME66/K6 recently acquired second hand at a reasonable price) to separate the birds from the walkers.
      > >

      > I did the second walk this evening. As soon as the walk began the heavens opened and the rain came down. The ME66/K6 and Marantz 661 were hastily stowed safely away. Great pity as the nightingales were in fine form despite the rain. This year about thirty males have been counted staking out their territory. After an hour or so of walking the rain eased so deployed the Olympus LS-10, using it's built in mics, to capture this one (including our guide's instructive comment) at 8:57pm.
      >
      > http://soundcloud.com/g0sbw/croaking-nightingale
      >
      > Another case of the LS-10 delivering the goods!
      >
      > Just one more walk to go - I hope the weather is better for that one.
      >
      > Cheers, TomR

    • Håkan Olsson
      Message 66 of 66 , May 13, 2012
        Thanks David.
        I will try an electricians supply store this week. They will probably have
        it (flux). They were closed when I was there, so I couldn't ask them.

        I did solder the shield to pin1 only on all my new cables and the cellphone
        signal pickup problem was gone. I'm very satisfied with that. I don't know
        if that is the right way to do it, but it worked for me. I haven't analyzed
        the recordings on my computer yet, but it sounded great.

        I tried to use another TR connector on the hydrophone. I had an angled
        Neutrik TR connector at home, but it sounded even worseŠ I also tried to use
        a 3-pin XLR soldered in different ways but that didn't work either. It
        sounds like a strong hum or like if it's not grounded. When I touch the
        connector or cable the problem gets worse or better, so it should have
        something to do with the ground?

        You had a problem with damp earth? I have made one 15 meter and one 50 meter
        extensions now, so I probably need to figure out a way to protect the
        xlr-connectors when I use them together from damp ground or if it starts to
        rain. It should be an easy way because I don't use permanent installations.
        Just a few hours or so, so I need a temporary solution. A plastic bag and
        electricians tape is probably the easiest way?

        -----
        Håkan Olsson
        nordicnature@...
        +46 762 98 51 18

        Från: Avocet <brini@...>
        Svara till: <naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com>
        Datum: Sun, 13 May 2012 01:44:57 +0100
        Till: <naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com>
        Ämne: Re: [Nature Recordists] Best way to build simply DIY stereo mics.

        > I tried to buy some flux at three different places here locally, but
        > none of them was selling flux.

        Håkan,

        Have you tried electricians suppliers? You can use plumbers flux if is
        a non-acid type.

        I soldered up some RCA connectors today and the cored solder didn't
        "tin" the tags without extra flux.

        > One thing I noticed is that the shield that is soldered to the pin 1
        > on the connectors is then "bridged" to the XLR's earth/shield on the
        > edge of the XLR connector. Does that make it use recorder as the
        > earth/shield? Is it good or bad to do it like that? Does the cable
        > get more or less sensitive to cellphone signals?

        We discussed connecting the shells a little while ago.
        The golden rule is to ground a circuit only once, usually at the
        mixer/recorder end. If it is grounded twice to different points you
        can get comparitively high currents flowing through the shield. The
        complete circuit makes a single turn loop and any AC magnetic fields
        will set up current in this loop.

        Mains is at +41dBV in America, +47dBV in Europe. Mic noise levels are
        more like -120dBV or lower. That's quite a high signal to noise ratio
        in cables often running together. That's why we use balanced lines and
        screening.

        I had a problem with connected shields at the end of 100metre stereo
        cables when the connected shells touched and caused a "ground loop"
        Either don't ground the shells (clip off the tag) or keep them
        insulated from each other and the ground. My other problem was shells
        touching a mic stand which
        .
        was on damp earth which caused fizzle.

        I also had a problem with my long outdoor cables because all my mixer
        and recorder power supplies were "floating". I measured 12V between
        the mixer ground and the company ground. In the UK all our supply
        sockets have a ground connection, and I used one socket as my master
        ground and all my hums disappeared.

        > Can my recorder be broken even if using XLR connectors works fine in
        > the same channels?

        No, but the XLR inputs may not be fully balanced. If the mics are
        "floating" with a two wire connection this is not usually a problem,
        but it any part of the circuit is also unbalanced you may be partially
        grounding part of the circuit by dipping it in water.

        All digital recorders give off digital hash and this is what you may
        be hearing. The simple answer is to use the connection that gives less
        noise.

        David

        David Brinicombe
        North Devon, UK
        Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce