Re: [Nature Recordists] Yellowstone

  • Bernie Krause
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 31, 2009
      Phil,

      For the past 20 years, it has been almost exclusively Sennheiser MKH
      30/40 in a MS rig. The mics, (including
      most in the MKH series) when used with really quiet preamps, are among
      the best compromise if one desires a wide range
      of application options in post-production. The Sennheiser MKH systems
      tend to hold up really well when under a wide range of thermal and
      humidity
      conditions and otherwise are extremely hardy in the field. And they
      calibrate extremely accurately between different
      comparable systems. They have just issued some new mics in that series
      (like the 8030) that, I've heard, may be even more quiet altho I haven't
      tested them for my purposes.

      Occasionally, I use a pair of ECM55B lavs that I tie around a tree the
      diameter matching the
      same distance between the ears in a human head.

      I sometimes do the same with a pair of MKH 20s because they can be
      rigged to encompass a range of from infrasound to ultra.

      The SASS system, as devised by Walt Knapp and used by a number of
      field recordists on the
      Nature Recordist list, is also a terrific rig.

      And even less occasionally, when clients demand it, I use an Aachen
      binaural head although
      the result is not terribly useful beyond the traditional binaural
      playback model of being tethered to
      a pair of headphones, something I personally find distracting.

      Bernie

      On Mar 31, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Philip Tyler wrote:

      > Bernie may I ask what the mic rig was you used?
      >
      > Phil
      >
      > On 31 Mar 2009, at 14:43, Bernie Krause <chirp@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > Thank you, Phil.
      >
      > BK
      >
      > On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Philip Tyler wrote:
      >
      > > Excellent sound Bernie!
      > >
      > > Makes me want to visit even more.
      > >
      > > Thank you.
      > >
      > > Phil
      > >
      > > ________________________________

      Wild Sanctuary
      POB 536
      Glen Ellen, CA 95442
      707-996-6677
      http://www.wildsanctuary.com
      chirp@...
      Google Earth zooms: http://earth.wildsanctuary.com
      SKYPE: biophony

    • Philip Tyler
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 1 6:18 AM
        Many thanks Bernie, the more I hear recodings made using a Sennheiser M/S rig the more I like the sound! I will have to investigate what a system would cost, and start saving.

        Regards

        Phil

        On 31 Mar 2009, at 16:53, Bernie Krause <chirp@...> wrote:

        Phil,

        For the past 20 years, it has been almost exclusively Sennheiser MKH
        30/40 in a MS rig. The mics, (including
        most in the MKH series) when used with really quiet preamps, are among
        the best compromise if one desires a wide range
        of application options in post-production. The Sennheiser MKH systems
        tend to hold up really well when under a wide range of thermal and
        humidity
        conditions and otherwise are extremely hardy in the field. And they
        calibrate extremely accurately between different
        comparable systems. They have just issued some new mics in that series
        (like the 8030) that, I've heard, may be even more quiet altho I haven't
        tested them for my purposes.

        Occasionally, I use a pair of ECM55B lavs that I tie around a tree the
        diameter matching the
        same distance between the ears in a human head.

        I sometimes do the same with a pair of MKH 20s because they can be
        rigged to encompass a range of from infrasound to ultra.

        The SASS system, as devised by Walt Knapp and used by a number of
        field recordists on the
        Nature Recordist list, is also a terrific rig.

        And even less occasionally, when clients demand it, I use an Aachen
        binaural head although
        the result is not terribly useful beyond the traditional binaural
        playback model of being tethered to
        a pair of headphones, something I personally find distracting.

        Bernie

        On Mar 31, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Philip Tyler wrote:

        > Bernie may I ask what the mic rig was you used?
        >
        > Phil
        >
        > On 31 Mar 2009, at 14:43, Bernie Krause <chirp@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > Thank you, Phil.
        >
        > BK
        >
        > On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Philip Tyler wrote:
        >
        > > Excellent sound Bernie!
        > >
        > > Makes me want to visit even more.
        > >
        > > Thank you.
        > >
        > > Phil
        > >
        > > ________________________________

        oration: none; } #ygrp-msg p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow: hidden; } #ygrp-msg p span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; } #ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } --> |-~-->

      • Dan Dugan
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 1 8:42 AM
          Bernie, you wrote about MKH-series mics,

          > And they
          > calibrate extremely accurately between different
          > comparable systems.

          I've always assumed that must be true, but my faith was shaken
          recently. A tech at Sennheiser taught me how to "align" the
          electronics of an MKH mic, and when the one I was repairing was on the
          money the sensitivity increased many dB! Now my question is (and I
          should ask him), how often do MKH mics get out of alignment?

          BTW the repair was necessitated by a blown capacitor, that probably
          caused by a barrel phantom-to-T-power adaptor that presented a pulse
          of 48V to the 12V T-power mic if it was hot-plugged. Most of the time
          they seem to be able to survive this insult, but not always, as the
          voltage rating of some internal caps is momentarily exceeded by a
          factor of like 3X.

          -Dan Dugan
        • Bernie Krause
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 1 9:29 AM
            Haven't had that problem, Dan. Because I've never powered my rigs w/
            anything but 48V Phantom.
            The original 30/40 set I bought in 1989 was compared with a couple of
            new sets I bought in 2001 when
            doing a field study. When I compared them, the difference between the
            frequency response of the various
            sets was not discernible. Neither was the sensitivity. The level at
            the inputs was within 1/10th of a dB.
            What was remarkable to me, was that I do not treat my mics well. When
            traveling, I wrap them in my
            underwear an tie rubber bands around the bundle. I bang them around
            (not intentionally) and leave them
            outside in high humidity...sometimes even full-on storms. Yet the
            older set could not be differentiated, operationally,
            from the newer, more recent models just out of the box.

            I do recall that when in Ecuador (Amazonia) about 4 years ago, the
            Senns failed after about 18 hours
            in 100% humidity and a serious rainstorm...the only time I've had a
            problem in 20 years. I switched to
            the ECM55Bs as a back-up and got what I needed from that particular
            habitat. After drying the Senns out
            over a kerosene lamp flame (being careful to keep them away from the
            carbon) for about 1/2 an hour,
            everything worked, again.

            It is possible that I've overlooked something in the process. If so,
            I'd sure like to know where the
            weakness lie so I can avoid those problems in the field.

            Bernie

            On Apr 1, 2009, at 8:42 AM, Dan Dugan wrote:

            > Bernie, you wrote about MKH-series mics,
            >
            > > And they
            > > calibrate extremely accurately between different
            > > comparable systems.
            >
            > I've always assumed that must be true, but my faith was shaken
            > recently. A tech at Sennheiser taught me how to "align" the
            > electronics of an MKH mic, and when the one I was repairing was on the
            > money the sensitivity increased many dB! Now my question is (and I
            > should ask him), how often do MKH mics get out of alignment?
            >
            > BTW the repair was necessitated by a blown capacitor, that probably
            > caused by a barrel phantom-to-T-power adaptor that presented a pulse
            > of 48V to the 12V T-power mic if it was hot-plugged. Most of the time
            > they seem to be able to survive this insult, but not always, as the
            > voltage rating of some internal caps is momentarily exceeded by a
            > factor of like 3X.
            >
            > -Dan Dugan

            Wild Sanctuary
            POB 536
            Glen Ellen, CA 95442
            707-996-6677
            http://www.wildsanctuary.com
            chirp@...
            Google Earth zooms: http://earth.wildsanctuary.com
            SKYPE: biophony

          • Scott Fraser
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 2 8:58 AM
              <<They have just issued some new mics in that series (like the 8030)
              that, I've heard, may be even more quiet altho I haven't
              tested them for my purposes.>>

              I've used the new 8040's a few times for music; string quartet, solo
              cello & soprano Dawn Upshaw. If they work as well outdoors as they do
              indoors, these are the new nature recording heavyweights. Clarity,
              transparency, accuracy & presence were all clearly superior to the DPA
              & Schoeps mics also on those gigs. And the new Sennheisers will fit
              inside a much smaller zeppelin than the standard MKH models.

              Scott Fraser

            • Rob Danielson
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 2 9:15 AM
                At 8:58 AM -0700 4/2/09, Scott Fraser wrote:
                ><<They have just issued some new mics in that series (like the 8030)
                >that, I've heard, may be even more quiet altho I haven't
                >tested them for my purposes.>>
                >
                >I've used the new 8040's a few times for music; string quartet, solo
                >cello & soprano Dawn Upshaw. If they work as well outdoors as they do
                >indoors, these are the new nature recording heavyweights. Clarity,
                >transparency, accuracy & presence were all clearly superior to the DPA
                >& Schoeps mics also on those gigs. And the new Sennheisers will fit
                >inside a much smaller zeppelin than the standard MKH models.
                >
                >Scott Fraser

                Boy, I'd love to hear more samples of these! In the field,
                side-by-side next to the older model(s) would make a perfect dream.
                Rob D.

                --
              • John Tudor
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 2 1:36 PM
                  --- In naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com, Scott Fraser <scott_fraser@...> wrote:

                  > <<They have just issued some new mics in that series (like the 8030)
                  > that, I've heard, may be even more quiet altho I haven't
                  > tested them for my purposes.>>

                  Would you use the MKH800 Twin as a figure 8

                  http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/502083
                • clay
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 2 1:57 PM
                    How was the winter episode?

                    I spent a week last winter in Yellowstone - stayed at a 'yurt camp' in the
                    interior - there were two different groups there recording for the BBC. One
                    was Shane Moore - who filmed the Christmas in Yellowstone piece for PBS. I
                    don't recall the names of the other two. I'm curious to see this piece, to
                    see if it was done by Shane - there was a wonderful scene of coyote trying
                    to steal 'dinner' from a family of otters, which both Shane and I filmed
                    from different vantage points - me with a Sony HVR A1 HighDef videocamera,
                    he with his BBC-supplied gear.

                    Sadly, I missed the best 'audio' recording opportunity of the trip - a
                    midnight rendezvous between a female and young male wolf - due to only
                    having still camera with me at the time.

                    Highly recommended for those who want to see Y'stone at a magical time, sans
                    tourists.

                    Below are links to my photos and videos:

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancesonrocks/collections/72157604716995029/

                    http://www.vimeo.com/dancesonrocks/videos

                    enjoy,
                    clay

                    On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Philip Tyler <macmang4125@...>wrote:

                    > The BBC have been running a 3 part series on Yellowstone which finished
                    > tonight here in the UK, I have been catching up on it by watching
                    > recordings.
                    >
                    > What a fantastic place! We have just got to the end of summer and the start
                    > of autumn which is where part 3 will continue from.
                    >
                    > It seems a truly amazing place with some wonderful wildlife.
                    >
                    > The second episode ended with a look at "geyser gazers" I can understand
                    > why some of them do it as when they do blow it is quite amazing and quite a
                    > sight.
                    >
                    > I know this e-mail is not strictly about nature recording but I know some
                    > of the group do record in Yellowstone and I just wanted to say I am really
                    > envious!
                    >
                    > Phil

                  • Scott Fraser
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 3 9:13 AM
                      <<<<They have just issued some new mics in that series (like the 8030)
                      > that, I've heard, may be even more quiet altho I haven't
                      > tested them for my purposes.>>

                      <Would you use the MKH800 Twin as a figure 8>>

                      That's from a different series.
                      This is the 8000 series, & as yet they don't offer a Figure 8
                      configuration:

                      http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/products_sennheiser_microphones_mkh_mkh_8000?Open&print=

                      Scott Fraser

                    • John Tudor
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 3 2:30 PM
                        > That's from a different series.
                        > This is the 8000 series, & as yet they don't offer a Figure 8
                        > configuration:
                        >
                        > http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/products_sennheiser_microphones_mkh_mkh_8000?Open&print=

                        I know Scott, that's why I'm wondering what you'd use as the side for M/S. The 800 however, would need two channels just for its own use.

                        John
                      • Aaron Ximm
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 3 2:44 PM
                          >> That's from a different series.
                          >> This is the 8000 series, & as yet they don't offer a Figure 8
                          >> configuration:
                          >>
                          >> http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/products_sennheiser_microphones_mkh_mkh_8000?Open&print=
                          >>
                          > I know Scott, that's why I'm wondering what you'd use as the side for M/S. The 800 however, would need two channels just for its own use.

                          The MKH-800 (not the Twin) doesn't, though, of course; I'm currently
                          using an 8040/800 pair for MS and they mate quite well IMO.

                          I do look forward to an 8030 just for size reasons and perhaps
                          field-ruggedness reasons; the mutli-pattern nature of the 800 makes me
                          baby it more closely. Also its ghastly price.

                          aaron

                          --
                          aaron.ximm@...
                          quietamerican.org

                          83% happy
                          9% disgusted
                          6% fearful
                          2% angry
                        • Volker Widmann
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 3 3:44 PM
                            Hi Aaron!

                            I am afraid to disappoint you, but recently a friend of mine received
                            first hand information from Sennheiser technicians that the MKH8030 is
                            not being planned and will not be produced. Obviously the MKH800 will be
                            the figure of 8 mike of our choice for the future. Alas, a ghastly
                            price, indeed. I recently missed it on ebay for less than 1850 Dollars.
                            Too bad.

                            Cheers

                            Volker

                            Aaron Ximm schrieb:

                            > I do look forward to an 8030 just for size reasons and perhaps
                            > field-ruggedness reasons; the mutli-pattern nature of the 800 makes me
                            > baby it more closely. Also its ghastly price.
                            >
                            > aaron
                            >
                            > --

                          • Kevin Colver
                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 3 4:46 PM
                              Hoping to hear more about Yellowstone but just getting mic talk. Oh,
                              well. How about changing the thread subject title?
                              Thanks all,
                              Kevin

                              On Apr 3, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Volker Widmann wrote:

                              > Hi Aaron!
                              >
                              > I am afraid to disappoint you, but recently a friend of mine received
                              > first hand information from Sennheiser technicians that the MKH8030 is
                              > not being planned and will not be produced. Obviously the MKH800
                              > will be
                              > the figure of 8 mike of our choice for the future. Alas, a ghastly
                              > price, indeed. I recently missed it on ebay for less than 1850
                              > Dollars.
                              > Too bad.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              >
                              > Volker
                              >
                              > Aaron Ximm schrieb:
                              > >
                              > > I do look forward to an 8030 just for size reasons and perhaps
                              > > field-ruggedness reasons; the mutli-pattern nature of the 800
                              > makes me
                              > > baby it more closely. Also its ghastly price.
                              > >
                              > > aaron
                              > >
                              > > --

                            • jasonpudd
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 3 6:15 PM
                                Hi,

                                One piece of info that I can through in is that I just got the brand new Rycote suspension and windscreens for the new MKH-8000 mics for doing coincident pairs. On the lable of the boxes and bags all the parts were labled for MKH8000 mics X/Y M/S. Very nice suspension. Very small and compact and well designed. What was interesting of course was the M/S part. I only hope that they produce a MKH-8030 to go with the other MKH-8000s so that you can do M/S. That would be wonderful! Hope it is not just wishful thinking! Feedback to Sennheiser about our interest in this might be a good idea. I know I would be interested! If you can get word back to Sennheiser it could only help!

                                Jason

                                --- In naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com, Volker Widmann <volwid@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Aaron!
                                >
                                > I am afraid to disappoint you, but recently a friend of mine received
                                > first hand information from Sennheiser technicians that the MKH8030 is
                                > not being planned and will not be produced. Obviously the MKH800 will be
                                > the figure of 8 mike of our choice for the future. Alas, a ghastly
                                > price, indeed. I recently missed it on ebay for less than 1850 Dollars.
                                > Too bad.
                                >

                                > Cheers
                                >

                                > Volker
                                >

                                > Aaron Ximm schrieb:
                                > >
                                > > I do look forward to an 8030 just for size reasons and perhaps
                                > > field-ruggedness reasons; the mutli-pattern nature of the 800 makes me
                                > > baby it more closely. Also its ghastly price.
                                > >
                                > > aaron
                                > >
                                > > --

                              • Martyn Stewart
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 4 11:22 AM
                                  If you plan to talk about anything other than Yellowstone then change
                                  the subject line!!!!
                                  I need to stress also that this group is a "nature recordist group.
                                  Many of the threads here are deviating from what we are about. I
                                  insist that we keep the subjects strictly on nature recording.

                                  Martyn

                                  Martyn Stewart
                                  Group moderator

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > One piece of info that I can through in is that I just got the brand
                                  > new Rycote suspension and windscreens for the new MKH-8000 mics for
                                  > doing coincident pairs. On the lable of the boxes and bags all the
                                  > parts were labled for MKH8000 mics X/Y M/S. Very nice suspension.
                                  > Very small and compact and well designed. What was interesting of
                                  > course was the M/S part. I only hope that they produce a MKH-8030 to
                                  > go with the other MKH-8000s so that you can do M/S. That would be
                                  > wonderful! Hope it is not just wishful thinking! Feedback to
                                  > Sennheiser about our interest in this might be a good idea. I know I
                                  > would be interested! If you can get word back to Sennheiser it could
                                  > only help!
                                  >
                                  > Jason

                                • John Tudor
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 4 2:17 PM
                                    --- In naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com, Martyn Stewart <mstew@...> wrote:
                                    > insist that we keep the subjects strictly on nature recording.

                                    Martyn

                                    Wasn't this why the other group 'Nature Recording' was formed?? So that this group could be used to discuss things relevant to nature recording, such as equipment and techniques etc??

                                    John
                                  • Gianni Pavan
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 4 2:44 PM
                                      Hi all,
                                      what I like of this group is the mix of nature recording and
                                      technical issues. Technical issues are always relevant for nature
                                      recording; only when the perfect equipment will be available to
                                      everybody we could avoid to talk about technical issues.

                                      Gianni

                                      At 20.22 04/04/2009, you wrote:

                                      >If you plan to talk about anything other than Yellowstone then change
                                      >the subject line!!!!
                                      >I need to stress also that this group is a "nature recordist group.
                                      >Many of the threads here are deviating from what we are about. I
                                      >insist that we keep the subjects strictly on nature recording.
                                      >
                                      >Martyn
                                      >
                                      >Martyn Stewart
                                      >Group moderator
                                      >
                                      > > Hi,
                                      > >
                                      > > One piece of info that I can through in is that I just got the brand
                                      > > new Rycote suspension and windscreens for the new MKH-8000 mics for
                                      > > doing coincident pairs. On the lable of the boxes and bags all the
                                      > > parts were labled for MKH8000 mics X/Y M/S. Very nice suspension.
                                      > > Very small and compact and well designed. What was interesting of
                                      > > course was the M/S part. I only hope that they produce a MKH-8030 to
                                      > > go with the other MKH-8000s so that you can do M/S. That would be
                                      > > wonderful! Hope it is not just wishful thinking! Feedback to
                                      > > Sennheiser about our interest in this might be a good idea. I know I
                                      > > would be interested! If you can get word back to Sennheiser it could
                                      > > only help!
                                      > >
                                      > > Jason

                                      >Nessun virus nel messaggio in arrivo.
                                      >Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
                                      >Versione: 8.0.238 / Database dei virus: 270.11.41/2040 - Data di
                                      >rilascio: 04/03/09 17:54:00

                                      Gianni Pavan
                                      Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
                                      Dipartimento di Biologia Animale, Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
                                      Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
                                      Phone +39-0382-987874 Fax +39-02-700-32921
                                      Email gpavan@..., gianni.pavan@...
                                      Web http://www.unipv.it/cibra http://mammiferimarini.unipv.it
                                    • Martyn Stewart
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 4 5:55 PM
                                        This is still a nature recording group, John. there are people here
                                        that don't want 2 sets of e-mails and i do not want this group to
                                        deteriorate.
                                        The owner of this group set this list up on the fundamentals of nature
                                        recording, lets just stick to it.

                                        Martyn

                                        On Apr 4, 2009, at 3:17 PM, John Tudor wrote:

                                        > --- In naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com, Martyn Stewart <mstew@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > > insist that we keep the subjects strictly on nature recording.
                                        > >

                                        > Martyn
                                        >
                                        > Wasn't this why the other group 'Nature Recording' was formed?? So
                                        > that this group could be used to discuss things relevant to nature
                                        > recording, such as equipment and techniques etc??
                                        >
                                        > John
                                        >

                                        > Messages in this topic (26)Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                                        > Messages | Files | Photos | Database | Members
                                        > sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie
                                        > Krause
                                        > MARKETPLACE
                                        > From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

                                      • J. Young
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 4 6:27 PM
                                          Thank you Martyn. These opinions make me glad that you are our moderator, a
                                          tough job for anyone.

                                          This is still a nature recording group, John. there are people here
                                          that don't want 2 sets of e-mails and i do not want this group to
                                          deteriorate.
                                          The owner of this group set this list up on the fundamentals of nature
                                          recording, lets just stick to it.

                                          Martyn

                                          On Apr 4, 2009, at 3:17 PM, John Tudor wrote:

                                          > --- In naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com, Martyn Stewart <mstew@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > > insist that we keep the subjects strictly on nature recording.
                                          > >

                                          > Martyn
                                          >
                                          > Wasn't this why the other group 'Nature Recording' was formed?? So
                                          > that this group could be used to discuss things relevant to nature
                                          > recording, such as equipment and techniques etc??
                                          >
                                          > John
                                          >

                                          > Messages in this topic (26)Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
                                          > Messages | Files | Photos | Database | Members
                                          > sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie
                                          > Krause
                                          > MARKETPLACE
                                          > From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

                                          17:54:00