Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: pmd660 dilemma (670?)

  • Lew Proudfoot
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
      I guess a pre-amp is in order.

      shtankyboy <randy.moore@...> wrote:Lower gain levels sound just fine. My disgust was driven by the
      quality of the recording with the gain pegged out at whatever the
      max level is (there're no numbers on the knob). I'm assuming that
      this is the issue everyone but me seemed to know about before I
      bought it. I do a lot of field recording of tropical forest birds
      that I can't see at a fair distance from me, so recording at high
      gain is an absolute must for me.

      I use a sennheiser ME66/K6, which I think is the type Marantz
      recommends- I'd hate to hear what happens with a dynamic mic.

      --- In naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com, "John Hartog"
      <hartogj_1999@y...> wrote:

      > > ...is preamp noise also an issue for the PMD670?
      >
      > I don't think the PMD670 is considered any quieter than the 660.
      > But that being said, the 670 preamp noise is not so bad to be
      > instantly noticed with disgust. I suspect there might something
      > else going on with your 660 ? especially with others mentioning
      > problems.
      >
      > What mics are you using?
      > When I bought my PMD670 a couple years ago, the company I
      > bought it from threw in a pair of mics for free. It turned out
      those
      > mics and the 670 were not at all compatible: the resulting noise
      > was a horrible gravelly sizzle. It seemed very odd to me the
      > noise would fluctuate along with changes on the display screen,
      > for instance I could hear the rec/pause icon blinking. I sent the
      > combo to Marantz and they ran a few tests and determined "the
      > mics were too hot." Well, I can't say I entirely trust them that
      the
      > problem was entirely from the microphones. But new mics did
      > seem to solve the problem: my 670 works okay with Rode
      > NT1-A's.
      > -John Hartog

      "Microphones are not ears,
      Loudspeakers are not birds,
      A listening room is not nature."
      Klas Strandberg

      Science kits Science education Science kit for kid Natural sound Recording technique My first science kit

      ---------------------------------

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
        Have people only had problems with the 670 at the higher gain levels? If not,
        which CF recorder would you buy? I have some grant money that is slotted for
        this but now question whether the 670 is the best choice...

      • Klas Strandberg
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
          A friend of mine just got his M-Audio Micro Track 24/96 and was very
          pleased with it.
          See http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html

          Klas.

          Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
          S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
          Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
          email: telinga@...
          info@...
        • Brian Dasilva
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
            I guess a pre-amp is still in order.

            At 23:50 2005-10-10, you wrote:
> [...]
            > >> mics and the 670 were not at all compatible: the resulting noise
            > >> was a horrible gravelly sizzle. It seemed very odd to me the
            > >> noise would fluctuate along with changes on the display screen,
            > >> for instance I could hear the rec/pause icon blinking. I sent the
            > >> combo to Marantz and they ran a few tests and determined "the
            > >> mics were too hot." Well, I can't say I entirely trust them that
            > > the
            > >> problem was entirely from the microphones. But new mics did
            > >> seem to solve the problem: my 670 works okay with Rode
            > >> NT1-A's.
            > >> -John Hartog
            > >>

            > > "Microphones are not ears,
            > > Loudspeakers are not birds,
            > > A listening room is not nature."
            > > Klas Strandberg

            > > Science kits Science education Science kit for kid Natural sound
            > > Recording technique My first science kit

          • Allen Cobb
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
              Yes -- at low gain levels, I'm quite satisfied. I use NT1As,
              which are high output (and very low self-noise), straight into
              the XLRs, and usually don't turn the record level above 1.5 (on
              the 670).

              I also have the R-1, and am not impressed by its usability,
              although the sound seems acceptable. I haven't used it a lot,
              for other reasons.

              If I were about to buy a CF recorder now, I'd take a close look
              at the Tascam, assuming it is really going to be released soon.
              One would expect them to have a good idea what pro recording is
              all about, and how to do it for fairly low cost.

              Allen Cobb
              a@...
              http://acobb.com
              http://shakespeare.acobb.com
              http://timbreproductions.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 10, 2005
                --- In naturerecordists@yahoogroups.com, "shtankyboy"
                <randy.moore@o...> wrote:
                > I use a sennheiser ME66/K6, which I think is the type Marantz
                > recommends- I'd hate to hear what happens with a dynamic mic.

                What happens with a dynamic is entirely dependent on the incoming
                sound level. It's pretty bad on quiet or distant sounds, but
                something loud or close, or loud and close, can work well.

                I've recorded high school jazz bands with dynamic mics on the 660, and
                it gets a level that lowers the hiss without clipping the preamp.

                I'm not entirely thrilled with the preamp performance of the 660, but
                with some understandings of its limitations, I can do some nice
                recording with it.