Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Some recording field history

  • Lou Judson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      I like to tell the tale of being in high school youth symphony, when
      Fred Crok and company from KKHI had two burly fellas carry each half of
      an Ampex 300 per trip and then the tube mics and power supplies, and 40
      pound mic stands, as I have my 744T on a shoulder, a case of small mics
      and a 15 foot stand in the other...

      <L>
      On Aug 31, 2005, at 7:03 PM, Rob Danielson wrote:

      > Filed this incredible observation in the history folder on my field
      > audio class resource CD. The other profound benefit of miniaturation
      > is beginners are more likely to record enough to catch the bug which
      > expands the market and prompts further development like affordable
      > and small low noise mic rigs. Rob D.
      >
      > = = = =
      >
      > At 6:11 PM -0700 8/31/05, Wild Sanctuary wrote:
      >> In 1987 I went to Rwanda for a month to record mountain gorillas at
      >> the late Dian Fossey's research site, Karisoke. Anticipating 40 hrs
      >> of recorded sound I took with me the following:
    • umashankar
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
        i have a kudelski-built perfectone mono recorder - i
        think it predates the nagras. it was built for bbc so
        it has ppm meters and the recorder weights as much as
        the entire 1978 gear!

        it still works perfectly, and the heads are in
        wonderful shape. but i would rebuild the electronics.
        they have become (or always were?) quite noisy by
        modern standards.

        umashankar

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/PMYolB/TM

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Martyn Stewart
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
          Ah, the good old days Bernie!! 168lbs in weight to carry was hard on the
          wife's shoulders while I carried the six-pack, I could never understand why
          she thought I was a chauvinist?

          Martyn

          Martyn Stewart
          Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:
          http://www.naturesound.org
          Redmond. Washington. USA
          N47.65543   W121.98428

          e-mail: mstew@...
          Tel: 425-898-0462

          Make every Garden a wildlife Habitat!

[...]

          "Microphones are not ears,
          Loudspeakers are not birds,
          A listening room is not nature."
          Klas Strandberg
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Volker Widmann
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
            Me thinks I spotted a fine example of the humor of a British nature
            recordist!!!