(1005) The Cormorant's Tale - Fleischman

  • Sam Droege
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2008
      The Cormorant's Tale
      (a poem for two voices)

      "As free as a bird" "As free as a bird"

      I've heard my
      man say
      And I choke when I hear it
      Consider my
      case.

      I'm an old cormorant I'm an old cormorant
      That's my man
      With the rope

      Attached to
      the ring

      That circles my throat.

      Like all cormorants Like all cormorants
      At catching
      fish I excel

      The skill's in my bones
      As my owner
      knows well.

      It's a cormorant's life It's a cormorant's
      life

      To dive down – as right now.

      I spot a fish
      and I seize it

      I'm a practiced sea-fowl.
      But I'm a caught cormorant But I'm a caught cormorant
      - Not the
      first nor the last -

      And the rings
      round our necks

      Stop us
      eating our catch.
      Just to taste is our fate Just to taste is our
      fate
      Though our stomachs
      are sore

      But they take