(843) The Stars Stand Up in the Air - Unknown, Irish

  • Sam Droege
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2007
      The Stars Stand Up in the Air

      The stars stand up in the air
      The sun and the moon are gone,
      The strange of its waters is bare,
      And her sway is swept from the swan.

      The cuckoo was calling all day,
      Hid in the branches above,
      How my storing is fled away,
      'Tis my grief that I gave her my love!

      Three things through love I see-
      Sorrow and sin and death-
      And my mind reminding me
      That this doom I breathe with my breath.

      But sweeter than the violin or lute
      Is my love-and she left me behind.
      I wish that all music were mute,
      And I to my beauty were blind.

      She's more shapely than swan by the strand,
      She's more radiant than grass after dew,
      She's more fair than the stars where they stand-
      'Tis my grief that her ever I knew!

      - Unknown, Irish