(422) The Camel's Complaint - Carryl

  • Sam Droege
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2004
      THE CAMEL'S COMPLAINT
      Canary-birds feed on sugar and seed,
      Parrots have crackers to crunch;
      And as for the poodles, they tell me the noodles
      Have chicken and cream for their lunch.
      But there's never a question
      About my digestion -
      Anything does for me.

      Cats, you're aware, can repose in a chair,
      Chickens can roost upon rails;
      Puppies are able to sleep in a stable,
      And oysters can slumber in pails.
      But no one supposes
      A poor camel dozes -
      Any place does for me.

      Lambs are enclosed where it's never exposed,
      Coops are constructed for hens;
      Kittens are treated to houses well heated,
      And pigs are protected by pens.
      But a camel comes handy
      Wherever it's sandy -
      Anywhere does for me.

      People would laugh if you rode a giraffe,
      Or mounted the back of an ox;
      It's nobody's habit to ride on a rabbit,
      Or try to bestraddle a fox.
      But as for a camel, he's
      Ridden by families -
      Any load does for me.

      A snake is as round as a hole in the ground,
      And weasels are wavy and sleek;
      And no alligator could ever be straighter
      Than lizards that live in a creek.
      But a camel's all lumpy
      And bumpy and humpy -
      Any shape does for me.