(640) A Barred Owl - Wilbur

  • Sam Droege
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2006
      "A Barred Owl"

      The warping night-air having brought the boom
      Of an owl's voice into her darkened room,
      We tell the wakened child that all she heard
      Was an odd question from a forest bird,
      Asking of us, if rightly listened to,
      "Who cooks for you?" and then "Who cooks for you?"

      Words, which can make our terrors bravely clear,
      Can also thus domesticate a fear,
      And send a small child back to sleep at night
      Not listening for the sound of stealthy flight
      Or dreaming of some small thing in a claw
      Borne up to some dark branch and eaten raw.

      -- Richard Wilbur