(600) The Cucumber - Hikmet

  • Sam Droege
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2006
      THE CUCUMBER

      to Ekber Babayev

      The snow is knee-deep in the courtyard
      And still coming down hard:
      it hastn’t let up all morning.
      We’re in the kitchen.
      On the table, on the oilcloth, spring –
      On the table there’s a very tender young cucumber,
      pebbly and fresh as a daisy.
      We sit around the table staring at it.
      It softly lights up our faces
      and the very air smells fresh.
      We sit around the table staring at it
      - amazed,
      thoughtful,
      optimistic –
      as if in a dream.
      On the table, on the oilcloth, hope –
      On the table, beautiful days,
      A cloud seeded with a green sun,
      An emerald crowd impatient and on its way,
      Loves blooming openly –
      On the table, there on the oilcloth, a very tender young
      cucumber,
      pebbly and fresh as a daisy.
      The snow is knee-deep in the courtyard
      and coming down hard.