(2027) Dog Music - Zimmer

  • Sam Droege
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2013
      Dog Music

      Amongst dogs are listeners and singers.

      My big dog sang with me so purely,
      puckering her ruffled lips into an O,
      beginning with small, swallowing sounds
      like Coltrane musing, then rising to power
      and resonance, gulping air to continue—
      her passion and sense of flawless form—
      singing with me, but mostly for the art of dogs.

      We joined in many fine songs—"Stardust,"
      "Naima," "The Trout," "Jeg elsker Dig," "Perdido."
      She was a great master and died young,
      leaving me with unrelieved grief,
      her talents known only to a few.

      Now I have a small dog who does not sing
      but listens with discernment, requiring
      skill and spirit in my falsetto voice.
      When I sing her name and words of love,
      Andante, con brio, vivace, adagio,
      at times she is so moved she turns
      to place her paw across her snout,
      closing her eyes, sighing like a girl
      I held and danced with years ago.

      But I am a pretender to dog music.
      Indeed, true strains rise only from
      the rich, red chambers of a canine heart;
      these melodies best when the moon is up,
      listeners and singers together and apart,
      beyond friendship and anger,
      far from any human imposter—
      songs of bones, turds, conquests,
      hunts and scents, ballads of