(2057) Eagles - Carver

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2013
      Eagles

      It was a sixteen-inch ling cod that the eagle
      dropped near our feet
      at the top of Bagley Creek canyon,
      at the edge of the green woods.
      Puncture marks in the sides of the fish
      where the bird gripped with its talons!
      That and a piece torn out of the fish's back.
      Like an old painting recalled,
      or an ancient memory coming back,
      that eagle flew with the fish from the Strait
      of Juan de Fuca up the canyon to where
      the woods begin, and we stood watching.
      It lost the fish above our heads,
      dropped for it, missed it, and soared on
      over the valley where wind beats all day.
      We watched it keep going until it was
      a speck, then gone. I picked up
      the fish. That miraculous ling cod.
      Came home from the walk and—
      why the hell not?—cooked it
      lightly in oil and ate it
      with boiled potatoes and peas and biscuits.
      Over dinner, talking about eagles
      and an older, fiercer order of things.

      - Raymond Carver