(1904) Enough - Grennan

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3 6:47 PM
      Enough

      First thing I saw near dawn on the road to the dunes this morning
      Was, at last, the fox: just a quick glimpse of him on the run

      But enough to see his colour is the colour of marsh hay
      In this season—copper and ginger streaked with slatey black—

      And enough to see his ears, plump sides, rump and bushy tail
      Vanishing into a twisted cave of tree roots

      Between some houses and the salt marsh where he's left
      Line after line of his impressions for me to follow,

      Easier in my mind now, having seen his real presence
      Ignite like that—the beautiful slow burn of it

      As he steps from my sight into his own tangle of shadows—
      And not having to content myself with the marks only

      Of his absence: the smell of him, his neat prints filling with sand.

      - Eamon Grennan