(1739) Ode on Intimations of Immortality .... Wordsworth

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 3:13 AM
      Excerpts from Ode on Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood

      There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
      The earth, and every common sight
      To me did seem
      Apparelled in celestial light,
      The glory and the freshness of a dream.
      It is not now as it hath been of yore;--
      Turn wheresoe'er I may,
      By night or day,
      The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

      The rainbow comes and goes,
      And lovely is the rose;
      The moon doth with delight
      Look round her when the heavens are bare;
      Waters on a starry night
      Are beautiful and fair;
      The sunshine is a glorious birth;
      But yet I know, where'er I go,
      That there hath past away a glory from the earth.
      What though the radiance which was once so bright
      Be now for ever taken from my sight,
      Though nothing can bring back the hour
      Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
      We will grieve not, rather find
      Strength in what remains behind;
      In the primal sympathy
      Which having been must ever be;
      In the soothing thoughts that spring
      Out of human suffering;
      In the faith that looks through death,
      In years that bring the philosophic mind.

      - William Wordsworth