(1615) Blood in Our Headlights, Car Wrecked, the Boar Dead - Moore

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2011
      Blood in Our Headlights, Car Wrecked, the Boar Dead

      Out of the darkness, men come
      with knives. They work quickly,
      muttering back and forth.
      By the time the police arrive,
      the boar is gone. The foreigners,
      each one of us, stand around
      the wrecked car,
      everyone still alive.

      And then

      the moment becomes a story,
      cut open as completely as the boar had been,
      all of us making use of it
      in whatever ways we need
      until our lives and the names
      we were given never to let go of,
      go.
      And even laughter and even our fears:
      gone,
      along with the boar and our bewilderment,
      traceless now inside the unending sound
      of crickets, the brown dust
      soaked in blood.

      - Jim Moore

      bio from: https://www.graywolfpress.org/index.php?option=com_phpshop&page=shop.author&product_id=185&author_id=141

      Jim Moore is the author of six collections of poetry, including Lightning at Dinner, The Freedom of History, and The Long Experience of Love. His poems have appeared in American Poetry Review, the Nation, the New Yorker, the Paris Review, the Threepenny Review, the Pushcart Prize Anthology, and in many other magazines and anthologies. Moore has received numerous awards and fellowships from the Bush Foundation, The Loft, the McKnight Foundation, and the Minnesota State Arts Board. He teaches at Hamline University in Saint Paul, Minnesota, and at The Colorado College in Colorado Springs, as well as online through the University of Minnesota Split Rock Arts Program. He is married to the photographer JoAnn Verburg. They live in Saint Paul, Minnesota and Spoleto, Italy.