RE: [naturalismphilosophyforum] Re: CHDO

  • Alice
    Message 1 of 277 , Mar 1, 2009

      Hi Ken,

      That was a very clear overview.  It was easy to read and restates the basics of what we’re on about.  Thanks.

      I’m really happy with my understanding of the world based on what I understand Naturalism to be telling me.  In the past I’ve found that I was coming up with theories, then when I came across a theory that made sense I was applying it, but it never went smoothly, something always came up that didn’t fit in with my theory.  So I jumped from theory to theory until finding Naturalism in July 2007.  18 months is probably the longest that I’ve had a theory that I’ve applied to my life where in 18 months I’ve not yet had a contradiction to the reality that I’ve experienced.  I feel enlightened.  I tell my friends this and they’re not sure what to think.  When things go wrong in my marriage and I ‘attempt’ to speak with my mother about it – she tells me ‘well you’ve made your choices’, so then I tell her, I don’t have free will, she seems to think I’m trying to cop out of something and is very disapproving of me.  In fact most people are disapproving of my belief in NFWism.  I’m just really sorry they don’t ‘get it’.  NFWism allows me complete acceptance of what is.  It allows me to have compassion for all people.  it allows me to make informed decisions and respond to everyone with the understanding that they ‘couldn’t have done otherwise’.  This is an emancipating position.  Yet still people look at me and think I’m some how being a smart arsed shirker of responsibility, who hasn’t quite understood how life works yet – a dreamer who really doesn’t get it!  Ironic that they have it so back to front – and yet my world view allows me to have total compassion for them and their attitude – whilst they look at me in judgment.  It really throws the Christian door knockers J LOL

      Alice J

      Message 277 of 277 , Mar 23, 2009
        Ken,
        > In your running race example you could have won the race if you hadn't lost the race but won it instead.

        >you could have won the race if you hadn't run at that speed but had run faster instead.

        I think these two points cover the compatibilist position quite well.

        I think they just cover what anybody means when they say something like this

        But, of course, they believe in something more too and that something is not compatible with determinism.

        Stephen