Re: [naturalismphilosophyforum] Re: NON-FREE WILLISM (NFWism) POSTULATED

  • stephenlawr0001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 1, 2007
      In a message dated 31/03/2007 22:14:23 GMT Standard Time, harry61_06@... writes:
      "I think we need to treat people, as if it is true that they had to
      do what
      they did." >>>

      This sounds like a catch-22. Again, personal responsibility is a
      must be. If you suggest to excuse all for their actions -- PERIOD ---
      I disagree.
      No excuses.

      /// Options are open.

      But you must select one of them.
      Past environment- nurture may be a
      cause of past erroneous conduct patterns. How is a person to learn
      options if any person is not confronted more constructive options?

      Obviously learning is vital no disagreement, you need to find out what we think rather than constructing questions aimed against a straw man all the time,

      And, I am posting because I find it of interest. YOU?

      In general because belief in free will is a damaging cultural myth, the least worried about and yet the strongest and most significant.

      In terms of specifically replying to you, in the hope that we can move past the stage of talking at crossed purposes all the time.

      You need to understand what we mean by no free will, The questions I ask are aimed at getting that result.

      So if what we do were to be what we must do and we couldn't do anything else, what difference would that make to your view on personal responsibility?

      Stephen

    • stephenlawr0001@aol.com
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 3, 2007
        In a message dated 02/04/2007 23:06:09 GMT Standard Time, harry61_06@... writes:
        It's about survival
        Us humans can base our choice making on the criteria we think best. We don't need to limit ourselves to survival.

        In doing so you are denying us the freedom we do have, whilst at the same time believing in a freedom we don't.

        Stephen