Molly Ivins

  • Fred Pauser
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Molly Ivins died yesterday of cancer at age 62.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      [Molly wrote]: "We are the people who run this country. We are the
      deciders. And every single day, every single one of us needs to step
      outside and take some action to help stop this war. Raise hell. Think
      of something to make the ridiculous look ridiculous."

      That last sentence in particular hits home with me particularly hard.
      We live in a truly Orwellian world, where the preposterous and
      abominable are being sold to us as being for our patriotic good.
      There is no higher calling in journalism, or in life, than telling it
      like it is, plainly and without fear, on behalf of the people. That
      was Molly Ivins' gift to us, and the spirit that we must keep alive. -
      -Isaiah Poole

      http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2007/02/01/molly_ivins_fire_and_light
      .php
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      I have heard Molly speak out in opposition to some of the foolishness
      and insanity of the Bush administration. She was magnificent! Just as
      Poole said, she told "it like it is, plainly and without fear," –
      and I add, with passion. I love her, and I mourn her passing. She may
      not have been a nominal naturalist (I don't know), but by promoting
      reality she was a naturalist is spirit.

      The fact that the neo-cons managed to fool about half of the country
      into twice electing Fool Bush into office, is discouraging. But the
      results of this past election indicates that many of those who were
      previously fooled, have come to see their error and are making
      corrections. So there is still hope.

      Bush has called his military antics a "crusade of good against evil."
      He sees the war as a holy crusade. I see it as an ass-holy crusade of
      one group who are out of touch with reality against another group,
      equally out of touch with reality. Behind the lies and destructive
      acts that Bush and Cheney have engineered, is the false notion that
      the end justifies the means. Look at the damage they have caused by
      their torture policy alone (not to mention the gross violation of the
      monolaw/golden rule). And the end they seem to be striving for is a
      Christian America, (supposedly morally superior to the rest of the
      world), leading and dominating the rest of the world.

      Write letters to the editors of your local papers. Promote
      reality! "Think of something to make the ridiculous look ridiculous."

      Fred
    • Phil Knight
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        Fred,

        Top three rediculous myths of man: the immortal soul, god, free will. From my p.o.v. people who ascribe to any or all of these things are ridiculous. Do I want to make them look ridiculous or do I want to help them see the ridiculousness in these beiefs?

        Steve

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

[...]

        Never miss an email again!
        Yahoo! Toolbar

      • Fred Pauser
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          Steve,

          You missed the point. Molly and I are talking there about the
          Bush "War on Terror" and all the ridiculous thinking, beliefs, and
          acts entailed. We need to EXPOSE the rediculousness involved in that
          small clique of neo-cons in power, so as to HELP hundreds of millions
          of people to SEE IT so that collectively we may exert pressure on the
          rulers. Bush and his bunch are NOT going to change what they are
          doing UNLESS PUBLIC OUTRAGE forces them to!!!

          If you try to engage the Bush problem with general denials of the
          soul, god and free will, you will be pissing in the wind.

          Fred

          --- In naturalismphilosophyforum@yahoogroups.com, Phil Knight
          <philosopherknight@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > equally out of touch with reality. Behind the lies and destructive
          > acts that Bush and Cheney have engineered, is the false notion that
          > the end justifies the means. Look at the damage they have caused by
          > their torture policy alone (not to mention the gross violation of
          the
          > monolaw/golden rule). And the end they seem to be striving for is a
          > Christian America, (supposedly morally superior to the rest of the
          > world), leading and dominating the rest of the world.
          >
          > Write letters to the editors of your local papers. Promote
          > reality! "Think of something to make the ridiculous look
          ridiculous."

          > Fred
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Never miss an email again!
          > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it

        • Phil Knight
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
            Fred,

            I got your point... I was spring-boarding off of that point saying that the real problem are the three myths of soul, god, and free will. Teaching people the truth on these points will not also end "The War on Terror" but also the terror of which that war is a reaction. Remember 9-11.... I doubt that it would have happened if people weren't under the delusion of soul and god and the illusion of free will.

            <philosopherknight@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
            > equally out of touch with reality. Behind the lies and destructive
            > acts that Bush and Cheney have engineered, is the false notion that
            > the end justifies the means. Look at the damage they have caused by
            > their torture policy alone (not to mention the gross violation of
            the
            > monolaw/golden rule). And the end they seem to be striving for is a
            > Christian America, (supposedly morally superior to the rest of the
            > world), leading and dominating the rest of the world.
            >
            > Write letters to the editors of your local papers. Promote
            > reality! "Think of something to make the ridiculous look
            ridiculous."

            > Fred

            > Never miss an email again!
            > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it

            The fish are biting.