  • Morgan-LynnLamberth LAMBERTH
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2006
      Janis, right . Punishment is part of the determinism of someone  alright.  As a soft determinist , I find  we have freedom but not what philosophers call contra-causal free will - no determinants. And to those who talk of having free will in a heaven ,they prove too much  in saying we would be robots if we could only do the good. If so , then the same would apply in a heaven . They  engage in special pleading and want it both ways: free will and only goodness when it suits them and otherwise ,when not .So, if in Heaven , why not free will and only the good on Earth? I call it the definitive refutation of the free will argument. I got it from Michael Martin and someone in last edition of Free Inquiry uses it .

    • Arthur Rice
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2006
        I'm curious. What do you mean by Soft Determinism?
        What is the freedom you believe you have?