RE: [naturalareasassociation] Invasives in Park Science

  • Cleary, Ruark
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 16, 2004
      Marcia asked, "I am wondering if by the time we retire- there will be any
      semblance of natural native ecosystems remaining?"

      My answer is, "If NAA does its job."

      Meanwhile, in California there are CalIPC and the NPS CA-EPMT, among others,
      working with invasive species on natural areas. There is at the least a
      foundation for a statewide invasive species program to be built upon. Maybe
      that is something the NAA Management and Technology Committee, or the Program
      Assistance Committee, or both, could undertake?

      -rook

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 16, 2004
        Yes- CalEPPC does quite a few things here.  Trick is getting people to work together- mwolfe
      • Marc Imlay
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 17, 2004
          Delayed gratification for Ailanthus is about 3 years. That is, we found
          that one feels good in 3 years. The Maryland Native Plant Society and
          Sierra Club in cooperation with Charles County and the State of Maryland
          lead stewardship nature walks the first Sunday of each month and about
          an equal amount of work occurred on other days.

          At the 200 acre Swann Park the 2 acres in 5 areas of patches of Ailanthus
          are virtually eradicated.

          Marc Imlay,
          Chair of the Biodiversity and Habitat Stewardship Committee for the
          Maryland Chapter of the Sierra Club.
          Board Member of the Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council,
          Hui o Laka at Kokee State Park, Hawaii
          Vice president of the Maryland Native Plant Society
          301-283-0808 ialm@...

          Tree of Heaven
          Ailanthus altissima

          Method. Pull out in wet soil gently using 4 prong spading fork.
          to first loosen the roots. Make a pile and monitor it. We
          successfully performed hack and squirt with 8% triclopyr on trees
          late in the growing season. Root suckers were retreated the next
          year, especially at site 3 in Swann park. Seedlings can be pulled,
          especially from sandy or moist soil, but if any resistance is felt,
          do not attempt to pull. Ailanthus sends up lateral shoots
          connected to a parent tree.

          Volunteers/person hoursAction DateSwann Park
          12/16 Jul-Sep-99
          1/2 7-Oct-99
          5/5 24-May-01
          9/45 3-Jun-01
          6/12 22-Sep-01
          1/4 24-Jun-02
          9/18 4-Aug-02
          5/30 25-Aug-02
          4/12 1-Sep-02
          8/40 3-Nov-02

          Goal: Eradicated
          2 acres reduced to 0.1 acre

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 18, 2004
            Remember our five year goal:

            It is considered standard that such invasive plant removal
            projects are normally done throughout the region, the nation,
            and the world.

            Marc

            Marc Imlay,

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 18, 2004
              Marc,

              Is that a five year goal for EPPC or NAA?

              This may be a trick question, but do you see EPPC and NAA working well
              together, or could the relationship be improved? If the latter, how?

              Did you know that NAA has three standing committees that are (or could be)
              involved with invasive species issues in the areas of program development,
              education and outreach, and management? Do you see opportunities for these
              committees to partner with similar EPPC committees?

              Would you say this sounds like a sales brochure, or is that just me?

              Cheers,

              -Rook

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 19, 2004
                Our goal is that it is considered standard to conduct invasive
                plant removal projects to rescue our native plants and animals
                in each of our natural areas just like it is considered standard to
                control erosion and monitor for endangered species. If everyone
                does it in their own natural area the burden is shared and a high
                percentage of the environment is restored. USDA Extension Service
                may include this in educational material to land managers,
                landowners, and master gardeners.