Re: four hole flute

  • greatwave
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
      -> But here the real reason I want to write. I work in an adult
      psychiatric hospital where I use music as much as I do traditional
      psychotherapy. I'm working now with a former musician of piano and
      guitar who had a stroke. He can use only his left hand. Does anyone
      know if a four hole flute can be constructed that would give a full
      range (octave a less) where a one-handed person can play. He would
      be interested in having one built it it is possible. Being a novice,
      I wouldn't even know how to do the design and be accurate.

      Michael, this isn't a difficult problem because hole placement isn't
      the most critical subject to qulaity tone. However, several holes
      will be large, the top two holes. The top hole will be a thumb hole
      on the back side so that is ok. The other 4 holes will be where the
      fingers fall naturally. This will make them offset around the bore
      but that is fine.
      If you make a small flute..5/8" bore C, perhaps the stretch, hole
      size, and the playability will work out. You may need to figure out a
      way to "hold" the flute, like a harmonica holder for a giutar player.

      --
    • biker_joe_a1
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2002
        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@y..., greatwave <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > -> You may need to figure out a
        > way to "hold" the flute, like a harmonica holder for a giutar
        player.

        > --
        One thang might help wit holding is use a nipple style blowhole
        setup.
        BJ
      • Jim Pappas
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
          >Hairwhiteasclouds:

          Have your friend finger a broomstick or something to see where his
          fingers naturaly fall. Let me know what the measurements are. Perhaps
          something can be done to adapt a 5 hole flute?

          Jim Pappas