Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] Healing Flute

  • Michael Jones
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5, 2013
      Always try to tune your flute at the expected playing temperature. Most consider 72 F to be the standard.

      As the temperature rises, the pitch also rises, the flute remains in tune with itself, but not in tune with conventional standards (makes it hard to play with some instruments that can't be retuned easily).

      The JI or Just Intonation is actually just a way to use the math of harmonics to tune the individual notes rather than Even Intonation which is a compromise that was devised for instruments like keyboards that can play in several different keys. Using mathematical intervals will sound a little off to our "trained out-of-tune" ears because they are not the Even Intonation we normally hear. Even if the pitch rises or lowers due to temperature changes the mathematic intervals will remain true. JI tuned flutes will NOT sound right if the "base" note of the scale you are playing is not the fundamental flute pitch, UNLESS you specifically tune it so that the scale "base" note is the start of your tuning process. EI tuned flutes will sound OK regardless of which note on the flute you want to start your scale. (Some people play a song like Amazing Grace in a different key than the flute was originally tuned and this is not very satisfactory on a JI tuned
      flute).

      Be sure to label your JI tuned flute as such so that other players who may come in contact with it don't think you are a bad flute maker simply because it sounds out of tune to what they were expecting. Same thing goes to flutes tuned at A=432 instead of A=440.  BTW, many people think that A=432 is better for "healing" flutes rather than A=440. (I'd due an A=432 JI flute if I were trying to do one for healing type of playing).

      Mike Jones

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5, 2013
        I did tune a flute to JI. The fundamental was an E at 324hz, which put A at 432 hz. I tuned at 72F and must say it sounded much nicer to me, than the flute I tuned to ET-A@432hz (F#).

        It is strictly a solo flute, only to be played with a drum or rattle, shaker or the like. I plan to make another. The first was a gift to my wife and I don't take it upon myself to pick it up and squeak out a tune. I did compose and record a simple tune in her honor, playing the JI. I play it back now and again on my ipod.

        The change in temperature is not so noticeable when you sit down, alone with the flute, and play from the heart. It does just fine.

        ET, A@432hz is nice, but it is still just flat. Someone said that it is just like playing in a cold room. So therefore, when the temperature rises, it is no longer 432hz.

        ps. Somewhere I saw reference to how many cents sharp or flat a JI note was. We should be able to add or subtract for actual temperature compensations.

        "To thine own self be true"
        John L. Pink

        On Jul 5, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Michael Jones <jonesmr@...> wrote:

        > Always try to tune your flute at the expected playing temperature. Most consider 72 F to be the standard.
        >
        > As the temperature rises, the pitch also rises, the flute remains in tune with itself, but not in tune with conventional standards (makes it hard to play with some instruments that can't be retuned easily).
        >
        > The JI or Just Intonation is actually just a way to use the math of harmonics to tune the individual notes rather than Even Intonation which is a compromise that was devised for instruments like keyboards that can play in several different keys. Using mathematical intervals will sound a little off to our "trained out-of-tune" ears because they are not the Even Intonation we normally hear. Even if the pitch rises or lowers due to temperature changes the mathematic intervals will remain true. JI tuned flutes will NOT sound right if the "base" note of the scale you are playing is not the fundamental flute pitch, UNLESS you specifically tune it so that the scale "base" note is the start of your tuning process. EI tuned flutes will sound OK regardless of which note on the flute you want to start your scale. (Some people play a song like Amazing Grace in a different key than the flute was originally tuned and this is not very satisfactory on a JI tuned
        > flute).
        >
        > Be sure to label your JI tuned flute as such so that other players who may come in contact with it don't think you are a bad flute maker simply because it sounds out of tune to what they were expecting. Same thing goes to flutes tuned at A=432 instead of A=440. BTW, many people think that A=432 is better for "healing" flutes rather than A=440. (I'd due an A=432 JI flute if I were trying to do one for healing type of playing).
        >
        > Mike Jones

      • davewill.com43
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 7, 2013
          Thought I would post the results of my Healing Flute exercise.
          I am really pleased with the result and love the sounds. I sometimes play with a small group of people at a local mental health help body. I will play without any introduction as to the purpose of this flute and see what, if any the reaction is. Waiting for tung oil to dry....

          This is how it turned out: (A above C at 432hz at 60c)
          Root 354hz, 1. 422hz, 2. 474hz, 3. 532hz, 4. 564hz, 5. 633hz, 6. 711hz

          Some references for Healing and JI: Ugly Boy Flutes : Sound Shaman :Physics of Music MTU.ED : and of course posts on these files by Mike Moosewinds, Mike Jones and John Pink.

          --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, John Pink <pinkjohn57@...> wrote:

          > I did tune a flute to JI. The fundamental was an E at 324hz, which put A at 432 hz. I tuned at 72F and must say it sounded much nicer to me, than the flute I tuned to ET-A@432hz (F#).
          >
          > It is strictly a solo flute, only to be played with a drum or rattle, shaker or the like. I plan to make another. The first was a gift to my wife and I don't take it upon myself to pick it up and squeak out a tune. I did compose and record a simple tune in her honor, playing the JI. I play it back now and again on my ipod.
          >
          > The change in temperature is not so noticeable when you sit down, alone with the flute, and play from the heart. It does just fine.
          >
          > ET, A@432hz is nice, but it is still just flat. Someone said that it is just like playing in a cold room. So therefore, when the temperature rises, it is no longer 432hz.
          >
          > ps. Somewhere I saw reference to how many cents sharp or flat a JI note was. We should be able to add or subtract for actual temperature compensations.
          >
          > "To thine own self be true"
          > John L. Pink
          >

          > On Jul 5, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Michael Jones <jonesmr@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Always try to tune your flute at the expected playing temperature. Most consider 72 F to be the standard.
          > >
          > > As the temperature rises, the pitch also rises, the flute remains in tune with itself, but not in tune with conventional standards (makes it hard to play with some instruments that can't be retuned easily).
          > >
          > > The JI or Just Intonation is actually just a way to use the math of harmonics to tune the individual notes rather than Even Intonation which is a compromise that was devised for instruments like keyboards that can play in several different keys. Using mathematical intervals will sound a little off to our "trained out-of-tune" ears because they are not the Even Intonation we normally hear. Even if the pitch rises or lowers due to temperature changes the mathematic intervals will remain true. JI tuned flutes will NOT sound right if the "base" note of the scale you are playing is not the fundamental flute pitch, UNLESS you specifically tune it so that the scale "base" note is the start of your tuning process. EI tuned flutes will sound OK regardless of which note on the flute you want to start your scale. (Some people play a song like Amazing Grace in a different key than the flute was originally tuned and this is not very satisfactory on a JI tuned
          > > flute).
          > >
          > > Be sure to label your JI tuned flute as such so that other players who may come in contact with it don't think you are a bad flute maker simply because it sounds out of tune to what they were expecting. Same thing goes to flutes tuned at A=432 instead of A=440. BTW, many people think that A=432 is better for "healing" flutes rather than A=440. (I'd due an A=432 JI flute if I were trying to do one for healing type of playing).
          > >
          > > Mike Jones

        • Joe Mulrooney
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
            l'd like you to explain the terms, I tuned to ET-A@432hz (F#). & a over c

            Love you. Take care. Put Yeshua first in all you do.

            ________________________________

            --- In mailto:nativeflutewoodworking%40yahoogroups.com, John Pink <pinkjohn57@...> wrote:

            > I did tune a flute to JI. The fundamental was an E at 324hz, which put A at 432 hz. I tuned at 72F and must say it sounded much nicer to me, than the flute I tuned to ET-A@432hz (F#).
            >
            > It is strictly a solo flute, only to be played with a drum or rattle, shaker or the like. I plan to make another. The first was a gift to my wife and I don't take it upon myself to pick it up and squeak out a tune. I did compose and record a simple tune in her honor, playing the JI. I play it back now and again on my ipod.
            >
            > The change in temperature is not so noticeable when you sit down, alone with the flute, and play from the heart. It does just fine.
            >
            > ET, A@432hz is nice, but it is still just flat. Someone said that it is just like playing in a cold room. So therefore, when the temperature rises, it is no longer 432hz.
            >
            > ps. Somewhere I saw reference to how many cents sharp or flat a JI note was. We should be able to add or subtract for actual temperature compensations.
            >
            > "To thine own self be true"
            > John L. Pink
            >

            > On Jul 5, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Michael Jones <jonesmr@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Always try to tune your flute at the expected playing temperature. Most consider 72 F to be the standard.
            > >
            > > As the temperature rises, the pitch also rises, the flute remains in tune with itself, but not in tune with conventional standards (makes it hard to play with some instruments that can't be retuned easily).
            > >
            > > The JI or Just Intonation is actually just a way to use the math of harmonics to tune the individual notes rather than Even Intonation which is a compromise that was devised for instruments like keyboards that can play in several different keys. Using mathematical intervals will sound a little off to our "trained out-of-tune" ears because they are not the Even Intonation we normally hear. Even if the pitch rises or lowers due to temperature changes the mathematic intervals will remain true. JI tuned flutes will NOT sound right if the "base" note of the scale you are playing is not the fundamental flute pitch, UNLESS you specifically tune it so that the scale "base" note is the start of your tuning process. EI tuned flutes will sound OK regardless of which note on the flute you want to start your scale. (Some people play a song like Amazing Grace in a different key than the flute was originally tuned and this is not very satisfactory on a JI tuned
            > > flute).
            > >
            > > Be sure to label your JI tuned flute as such so that other players who may come in contact with it don't think you are a bad flute maker simply because it sounds out of tune to what they were expecting. Same thing goes to flutes tuned at A=432 instead of A=440. BTW, many people think that A=432 is better for "healing" flutes rather than A=440. (I'd due an A=432 JI flute if I were trying to do one for healing type of playing).
            > >
            > > Mike Jones

          • Michael Jones
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
              ET = Even Intonation i.e. 12 evenly spaced notes (half steps) in an octave which include the 8 notes plus all the sharps and flats.
              JI = Just intonation i.e. 12 notes that are spaced based on mathematical (harmonic) ratios and are NOT evenly spaced.
              A=440  means that the "standard" frequency base for all the possible notes is when A4 is 440 Hz
              A=432  same as the previous except that the reference frequency is 432 Hz which is said to be close to the natural frequency of "everything" hence "healing"
              there are several other "standards" for the frequency of the A4 note, historically, the standard has been changed several times.
              A above C = the note A above middle C = A4

              Mike Jones

> [...]

              > > flute).
              > >
              > > Be sure to label your JI tuned flute as such so that other players who may come in contact with it don't think you are a bad flute maker simply because it sounds out of tune to what they were expecting. Same thing goes to flutes tuned at A=432 instead of A=440.  BTW, many people think that A=432 is better for "healing" flutes rather than A=440. (I'd due an A=432 JI flute if I were trying to do one for healing type of playing).

            • John Pink
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
                Hi Joe,

                "I tuned to ET" ~ I tuned to Equal Temperament. (Evenly spaced) ... Pentatonic scale.

                "A@432hz" ~ I reset my tuner from A440hz to A432hz. ... Tuned at 72F. The offset resulted in a flute which is flat compared to contemporary flutes made to play with other concert instruments. (Tuned at 440hz.)

                "To thine own self be true"
                John L. Pink

                On Jul 8, 2013, at 3:07 PM, Joe Mulrooney <sonbeam10@...> wrote:

                > l'd like you to explain the terms, I tuned to ET-A@432hz (F#). & a over c
                >
                > Love you. Take care. Put Yeshua first in all you do.

              • John Pink
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
                  Good job with the definitions Mike.

                  "To thine own self be true"