RE: [Native Flute Woodworking] PVC Sub NAF?

  • Mike Jones
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29, 2013
      Would make good accompaniment with numerous pitches...that's my vote.

      Mike Jones

      Message 2 of 14 , May 29, 2013
        I will probably stick with D3, that keeps it useful and yet low
        enough to spark some interest in it. It will be donated to the
        silent auction that weekend. I've made keys numerous times in the
        past. The keys will have phosphor bronze springs and will be either
        metal or several plys of thin flexible wood. Camper sealing foam is
        used for the seal around the key surface, it works quite well, I've
        also used speaker foam strips at times.

        A few years ago I sealed a 3" dia. shipping tube (thick stuff that
        they ship PVC stock in), managed to get a faint 55 cycles out of
        it. That's the lowest I've gotten anything to sound. They had
        little flaps of carboard keys held with duct tape, it took a couple
        of people to open/close them since they didn't have springs. It was
        quite tall.

        Daniel Bingamon

        At 10:00 PM 5/29/2013, you wrote:
        >Dan - I make flutes down to A2 but honestly anything below a D3 is
        >pretty much a novelty thing. I can get down to the A without keys but
        >I can do the 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 spread with my hands. Lower than the D3
        >you start to lose tonal definition and volume. Clint has my B2 audio
        >sample on Flutopedia http://www.flutopedia.com/keys.htm scroll to
        >near the bottom of the list. It is a keyless 6 hole you can see it
        >on my facebook White Crow Arts page which is a public page.
        >
        >I did make a D2 (75 Hz) overtone flute of NAF fipple design (no
        >holes) out of about 7' of 2" PVC. You can hear it on my YouTube
        >video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtgShTo2mHo if it were not for
        >studio magic it would be nearly impossible to hear further than a
        >couple of feet. DON'T turn your speakers up too loud - the low
        >frequencies will not harm them but will rattle less expensive units.
        >
        >Barry WC
        >

        >On May 29, 2013, at 9:00 PM, Daniel Bingamon wrote:
        >
        > > Well, got to call it something. How about Sub-NAF?
        > >
        > > This year I'm making a PVC SUB-NAF for the Fort Ancient Silent
        > > Auction. June 8th and 9th (not sure which day it will be offered).
        > >
        > > With no toneholes, I can get it to play as low as 104.7 Hz with a
        > > decent tone --- that's just below A=110Hz. A 2" ID bore. I haven't
        > > trimmed it down yet.
        > > This monster will have keys to cover the holes.
        > > I could build this anywhere between the keys of A-110 to E-164.81
        > > Hz. Any suggestions?
        > >
        > > Daniel Bingamon

      • Michael Jones
        Message 3 of 14 , May 30, 2013
          I actually wrote "'A' would make good accompaniment" but the A got lost in
          cyberspace.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 30, 2013
            It's those little cyber people stealing characters now and then.

            I'll have to make another one later in a lower
            key like that. If you push the pressure just
            right, it sort-of warbles on the D note. I
            drilled the toneholes today, nice 15/16th and
            7/8" diameters (trying putting your fingers on
            that, difficult for even Nephalim but the keys makes it easy.
            NAFlutomat did a good job at calculating the
            toneholes -- the distance between the mouthpiece
            and the top hole however was hand trimed down to
            size until the bottom note played in the tune with the holes already drilled.
            Painted the mouthpiece blue to represent water or
            sky and will do the rest in the local four directions colors.
            The mouthpiece is inverted by using a P trap,
            kind of like the Paetzold recorders.

            At 08:20 AM 5/30/2013, you wrote:

            >I actually wrote "'A' would make good accompaniment" but the A got lost in
            >cyberspace.
            >
            >Mike Jones

          • Daniel Bingamon
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7, 2013
              I finished it. The 1 inch TSH and ~7/8" dia. Tonehole makes it quite loud.
              Sub NAF in D Photos.
              I'm enclosing links to them.
              Front:
              http://www.kingsmills.us/jubilee/store/sub-naf-d3-1.jpg
              Back:
              http://www.kingsmills.us/jubilee/store/sub-naf-d3-2.jpg

              Sound File: http://www.kingsmills.us/jubilee/store/subnaf-d.wma

              Daniel Bingamon
            • bear
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 8, 2013
                wow very nice love the colors and sound is nice deep ..great work