Re: Spalted hackberry

  • entrekin1
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2013
      I just finished a hackberry flute. It's a beautiful wood with the spalting, but I had to fill about a zillion wormholes. It works pretty much like soft maple. Definitely worth the effort to save it!

      Lee

      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "joe" <tennesseestargazer@...> wrote:

      > trying to salvage the logs from a tornado downed tree from 2 years ago. Spalted hackberry. New pics in the tennessee stargazer album.

    • Kerrye Raven
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2013
        Washta Lee,

        That should be beautiful!:-)

        I'm currently working on a spalted alder branch flute then I'm building another one in a huge bass E likely.

        I love spalted woods for their depth of color and contrast then it seems with alder anyway that the grain turns black like someone took an ink pen and highlighted the grain.

        Looks like we both have some photos to post on the photo albums here in group huh?;-)

        I can't wait to work with this spalted Camellia I have next...❤

        Crowfeather---<<<<<<<<>
        Sent from my iPhone
      • Donn Shands
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18, 2013
          Not sure how long it has been since you removed the bark and how you stored the wood. It is always a good idea to take caution when working with spalted wood. You may be sensitive to the possible fungus that caused the spalting. Take care my friend.

          Donn

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20, 2013
            Washta Donn,

            Wise words my friend.
            Indeed- I have allergies to the stuff- the Alder especially.
            The Camellia, Birch and ?? Other spalted wood I've got is simply because it grew up here where if it was still forest land, it would likely be a rainforest-LOL!:-)

            I will use respiratory protection when I start sanding it.

            How are the Camellia flutes coming along from our bush?

            Pilamaya
            Kerrye~
            Sent from my iPhone
          • Donn Shands
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20, 2013
              The wood that you sent is still aging in the open wire racks I have in the
              garage. I have treated or debarked a couple of them. Very hard wood.

              I pretty much have fulfilled all of my photo duties for cook-offs as today.
              But will still have to correct, collate and burn to disk quite a bit of
              information to send to people. Last Terlingua required 3 DVD disks worth
              of coverage. I had no idea I had taken so many photos and videos.

              Ladies State was today…and I only stayed over Friday night and came back
              home this evening. About a 4 hour drive from the West to here.

              Now, I need to clean up all my camping gear and store it away….then start
              the real work of getting things done around the house.

              Garden to work and split that time with getting the shop cleaned up.

              Seems like I have had so much procrastination and no progress. Real
              problem was I just did not feel well enough to get any physical labor done.
              For some reason, Maybe getting past my Ides of March Madness each year, I
              am getting more energetic towards projects. Hope so anyway…I am sure
              everyone is getting tired of me saying I am going to get back to flute
              making.. Got to just start and get it done.

              Mike has had so many distractions personal, family, and all sorts of
              things, that he confessed to me he has not made a flute in a year. His shop
              is in the same disaster shape as mine.

              A lot of his was due to turmoil in the family with the family matters. Then
              a couple of months ago he had an accident with the car. Some woman
              hesitated merging traffic on a turn into the feeder road and he tail crashed
              her, totally ruining his car. Had to get a new one. Poop seems to happen in
              bunches.

              Then with all the gun and Obama stuff, we spent a great deal of time getting
              our CHL and finding stuff needed to home store. Ammo is still almost
              impossible to obtain anywhere.

              I have been building up electronics in the computer room to use on the TV
              video, and trying to learn and produce some back ground tracks to play
              over. I am not at all fond of just using someone elses backtracks.

              One of my cookoff friends has a business of repaing guitars. So I asked him
              to save me several broken or rewired guitar strings of different sizes.

              They were passed on to me while at the cookoff today. I plan to make some
              of those tubes with the single wire at the bottom that makes the thunder
              sound. Then I hope to make some mini harps and put pickups on them. When I
              run the audio through a bunch of components I have, you can make up sounds
              that are extremely interesting. With some effort, you can form the sounds
              into strange back tracks with effects and looper. Fun too lately is finding
              all sorts of flat metal thin to wide and making the thumb pianos with them.
              That too will give you sounds almost as haunting as a halo drum.

              So, eventually I have to build a complete working unit and then teach myself
              how to get some melody out of it.

              Really funny….I went to Garden Ridge to look for a pot to make an udu out of
              …. They had most pots only with wide top openings. But some of the better
              ceramic vases or jugs had a nice top. So, I went through several shelves
              testing each possible jug thumping my palm on the top to see what sort of
              sound I could get. Finally found on the 21 buck range. It is more flat on
              both sides and wide and long. This will allow me to carefully drill a set
              of holes in one side and grind out a hole about 1 ½ in across maybe
              slightly larger. This will provide the true udu sound when hit. The
              ceramic surface will allow for the sharp hitting notes. Well, I hope so
              anyway….Cost more than I wanted to gamble, but a real udu starts at 75
              bucks The really good ones run 300 and way up. The sound is very haunting
              as it provides a really strange bass note that you keep percussion rhythm
              with. The high speed diamond bits will cut the ceramic with precision and
              prevent cracking. Will have to use the fine diamond drums to smooth the
              edges.

              Hope you are feeling better and some progress is being made getting some
              back log of work and flute stuff out of the way.

              Been a long day…If I don’t watch it, will fall asleep in the
              computer chair. Cat is in the lap

              Later,

              Donn

            • Donn Shands
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21, 2013
                Oops..

                Sorry gang.late night

                I thought I was answering Kerrye on the private e mail .

                Sorry

                Donn ___