RE: [Native Flute Woodworking] SAC

  • Carl jayme YOUNG
    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 20, 2013
      Hi Kuz, I just looked up your website and noticed you live in Woodland Park. Great Place!!! I live right down the road in Colorado Springs. Do you ever get visitors up at you shop? Carl
      To: nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com
      From: KuzinBruceFlutes@...
      Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:15:10 -0400
      Subject: Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] SAC

      A flute being made a certain way, or a maker that makes a flute a certain

      doesn't necessarily equate to all flutes being made that way sounding or

      working the same.

      The biggest downsides I've found in a bored or reduced size SAC is less

      area to hold condensation and a the lessor 'delay' a larger compression

      chamber can give. Some of most excellent flutes/makers can have a sac of either

      dimensions, some marginal flutes/makers can as well.

      The question, as are most questions asked about flute making, is answered

      by the individual making the flute and how they work all the components of

      their flute. No one component stands alone.

      Want to know how a smaller SAC will effect your flute, make a flute with

      a smaller SAC. The answer few folks starting out want to hear, the best

      advice they can be given IMHO...

      Kuz

      In a message dated 3/20/2013 8:52:19 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,

      jaymecarl@... writes:

      I have two flute I bought from High Spirits. They were bored, not routed.

      They do not have a SAC either. They definatley have a different feel to

      them while playing, however, I like the two chambered flute sound better. Carl

      > To: nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com

      > From: davidlabreallen@...

      > Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:22:21 -0400

      > Subject: Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] SAC

      > I have made many flutes with a smaller diameter SAC than the bore. The

      size

      > of the SAC and width of the flue will determine how much back pressure

      you

      > experience as a player. It works like a SAC even it is a straight bored

      > hole. If you are blowing right into the flue itself, then it is more

      like

      > a recorder with no SAC.

      > David A

      > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM, rnrjeffre <rnrjeffre@...> wrote:

      > > **

      > > What length is standard for slow air chamber?Those of you who route

      your

      > > blanks have you ever routed the bore larger than the slow air chamber?

      > > saw a Visio of Russ wolf where he used a gun bore to drill the blank

      -he

      > > did the bore then flipped the Blank and drilled the mouth hole strait

      > > the plug.It appeared it didn't have a slow air chamber.Is that even

      > > possible? Bob

    • Brent Adams
      Message 58 of 58 , Mar 20, 2013
        I agree on the size of their “breath hole” possibly trying to “make up for”
        a separate SAC.

        I have a couple of High Spirits flutes as well. Mine are not from the
        “Signature Series” but from their regular offerings. They are newer models.
        I’m pretty happy with them. They seem decently priced and pretty durable. (I
        need durability due to playing for Boy Scout, Order of the Arrow ceremonies
        which are outdoors in all kinds of weather and in rugged camping
        situations.) They have a different response than the ones I’m making
        (split, routed, glued, etc.). They seem to not have as much
        “delay”……….meaning that they react quicker to any change of breath pressure
        than mine. However….I’m intentionally making mine with a little more
        “back-pressure” (smaller breath hole….about 7/32”) and I think that ,
        combined with a larger SAC, makes my flutes a little “mellower”, but also
        less “responsive” to subtle breath changes or tonguing techniques.

        From what I’ve read…..they do make their “Signature Series” with a larger
        diameter SAC, and glue a plug in place for the “wall”. Someday I hope to get
        one of these as well. I’m not very crazy about the price on these though. J
        I’m pretty frugal….that’s one reason I started making flutes.

        just my thoughts

        Brent

        From: nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:nativeflutewoodworking%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:nativeflutewoodworking%40yahoogroups.com>

        I have two flute I bought from High Spirits. They were bored, not routed.
        They do not have a SAC either. They definatley have a different feel to them
        while playing, however, I like the two chambered flute sound better. Carl
        > To: nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:nativeflutewoodworking%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:nativeflutewoodworking%40yahoogroups.com>
        > From: davidlabreallen@... <mailto:davidlabreallen%40gmail.com>
        <mailto:davidlabreallen%40gmail.com>
        > Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:22:21 -0400
        > Subject: Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] SAC
        >
        > I have made many flutes with a smaller diameter SAC than the bore. The
        size
        > of the SAC and width of the flue will determine how much back pressure you
        > experience as a player. It works like a SAC even it is a straight bored
        > hole. If you are blowing right into the flue itself, then it is more like
        > a recorder with no SAC.
        >
        > David A
        >

        > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM, rnrjeffre <rnrjeffre@...
        <mailto:rnrjeffre%40yahoo.com>
        <mailto:rnrjeffre%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

        > > **
        > >

        > > What length is standard for slow air chamber?Those of you who route your
        > > blanks have you ever routed the bore larger than the slow air chamber? I
        > > saw a Visio of Russ wolf where he used a gun bore to drill the blank -he
        > > did the bore then flipped the Blank and drilled the mouth hole strait to
        > > the plug.It appeared it didn't have a slow air chamber.Is that even
        > > possible? Bob

        _____

        No virus found in this message.

        No virus found in this message.