Wood for branch flutes

  • Wayne Greenway
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2013
      I am taking down a small black Oak tree today that has several small straight branches that "may" make a nice flute.

      What should I look for in a branch that I would like to keep as natural as possible to what it looks like on the tree?

      Cheers,
      Wayne
    • Kerrye Raven
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2013
        Washta Wayne,

        Yes, both black oak and birch make beautiful flutes. Just be forewarned bk. oak is porous and may leak air in the SAC, so seal it well before you glue the 2halves back together.

        If you're ever up here in SW. Wa., there are a lot of spalted and figured/marbled birch up here if you care to wonder the woods and roam the banks of rivers here. I've got a branch that looks like black marbled birch in the shape if a saxophone kinda.
        Just make sure you leave the bark on the trunk and branches and seal the ends in wax and let them season at least a year. If you're from up here- make it a year and a half if not two.
        Good luck,

        Crowfeather~<<<<<<<<>
        Sent from my iPhone