Re: NAFlutomat question - re bore length...

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2013
      Steve,

      Mike's response is right on!

      If you want NAFlutomat to calculate the correct bore length, read the explanation in item 4 under "Some details" in the documentation that is in the stand-alone version (I don't know whether Clint rearranged to docs in the Flutopedia version).

      Cheers,
      Edward Kort
      Wood Wind

      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

      > Steve,
      >
      > If the bore is cylindrical and if the parameters for inner diameter and wall thickness are accurate, then the discrepancy is probably in k2 at the TSH. I expect the difference is small, like around an inch or less. If that's the case, then have no fear--the resulting measurements for the holes will be correct. Just ignore the bore length and make your measurements from the foot and you will be ok.
      >
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "mockfordsteve" wrote:
      > >
      > > I hope this is not a stupid question, but I find that when I put my flute parameters into NAFlutomat, it gives me a calculated bore length which is different to my actual bore length. When laying out my playing hole positions from the NAFlutomat measurements given, do I add/subtract the bore length difference to/from the playing hole measurements?
      > >
      > > Thanks, and sorry if I'm being dense!
      > >
      > > Steve.

    • mockfordsteve
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2013
        Thanks guys - yes the difference is around an inch or less. Carry on fluting!

        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" wrote:

        > Steve,
        >
        > Mike's response is right on!
        >
        > If you want NAFlutomat to calculate the correct bore length, read the explanation in item 4 under "Some details" in the documentation that is in the stand-alone version (I don't know whether Clint rearranged to docs in the Flutopedia version).
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Edward Kort
        > Wood Wind
        >
        > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:
        > >
        > > Steve,
        > >
        > > If the bore is cylindrical and if the parameters for inner diameter and wall thickness are accurate, then the discrepancy is probably in k2 at the TSH. I expect the difference is small, like around an inch or less. If that's the case, then have no fear--the resulting measurements for the holes will be correct. Just ignore the bore length and make your measurements from the foot and you will be ok.
        > >
        > > Mike
        > >
        > > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "mockfordsteve" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I hope this is not a stupid question, but I find that when I put my flute parameters into NAFlutomat, it gives me a calculated bore length which is different to my actual bore length. When laying out my playing hole positions from the NAFlutomat measurements given, do I add/subtract the bore length difference to/from the playing hole measurements?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks, and sorry if I'm being dense!
        > > >
        > > > Steve.

      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
          I use NAFlutomat exclusively in determining tuning/direction & playing hole positions. I adjust the calculated bore length to match the actual bore length with changes to the parameter called "TSH factor". Increasing this parameter shortens the calculated bore length and, conversely, decreasing this parameter lengthens the calculated bore length. I don't know if this has any significant effect on the hole placement computations, but I feel better if the calculated length matches the actual length before drilling holes.

          John Ellis
          Turtle Mound Flutes

          --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "mockfordsteve" wrote:

          > I hope this is not a stupid question, but I find that when I put my flute parameters into NAFlutomat, it gives me a calculated bore length which is different to my actual bore length. When laying out my playing hole positions from the NAFlutomat measurements given, do I add/subtract the bore length difference to/from the playing hole measurements?
          >
          > Thanks, and sorry if I'm being dense!
          >
          > Steve.

        • Edward
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2013
            John,

            With the simple calculations used by NAFlutomat, TSH/bird factors do NOT affect the hole placement as measured from the bottom of the flute. More sophisticated (and accurate) equations would take into account the k2 corrections.

            I can think of two reasons to determine the k2 corrections:
            1. At some stage prior to empirically cutting the flute to bring the fundamental in tune, you need to know the hole placement. For example, you want to inlay a finger board tight to the holes.
            2. You are fussy about the final aspect ratio (bore length/bore diameter). I'm one of those fussy people.

            Cheers,
            Edward Kort
            Wood Wind