Flute finishes

  • Wayne Greenway
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2012
      I finished my first flute and am ready to put a protective coating on it.

      What are my best options?

      Are there any I can use inside my house? This would be my first preference.
      Pretty cold in my garage and the coating would take forever to dry and I want to play it.

      The wood is Sasparilla.
      It's not very hard.

      Cheers,
      Wayne
    • Brent Adams
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2012
        Hi Wayne,

        I personally use a wipe on oil finish. I have tried a few different ones and
        many times during the cold months I have taken the room temperature finish
        and flute out into the garage to apply the finish.then bring it into the
        house to dry after wiping the excess off. My bride isn't very crazy about
        the smell of many of these so I try to do this when she has other things
        going on outside the home..then try to air out the house by the time she
        gets back. Some of them are pretty strong smelling so make sure you wear
        gloves and have adequate ventilation inside if you choose to do this. The
        oils also tend to toughen softer woods slightly, helping to increase their
        durability and moisture resistance.

        Brent

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 2, 2012
          I like Howard's Feed and Wax. Good protection, nice finish which can be re-applied as often as you like or as needed. Safe, and non toxic. Leaves a pleasant smell that only lingers for about an hour or so.
          Cheers,
          Garrick

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 2, 2012
            Yes I agree. I use Howard's Feed N wax but I use more as a polish on top
            of my other finish. Works great..

            Richard