Re: Purchasing a flute

  • John
    Message 1 of 36 , May 2, 2012
      Mike... I see this same type of comment frequently: "gorgeous and expensive wall hangers that look great but don't sound very good." Although there are some makers who consider playability and voice as secondary, this statement always strikes me as suggesting that artful flutes don't play well. There are many counter examples out there of makers who make beautiful, artful flutes that play very well. Brent Haines is a great example that immediately comes to mind. Look on his website for the names of the top performers who play his flutes on stage and in the studio. Not that I put myself in Brent's category, but I take great time and effort in making sure my flutes are carefully tuned and comfortable to play before I burn, inlay, paint, etc. them with my animal themes. I have never heard a complaint about how my flutes play - some of my customers have told me that my flute is their favorite. I believe I am (like Brent) more the norm than the exception among flute makers who place emphasis on the artwork on our flutes.

      John Ellis
      Turtle Mound Flutes
      www.turtlemoundflutes.com

      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jones <jonesmr@...> wrote:

      > There are reputable and not expensive makers of these flutes, as well as some
      > who want to sell gorgeous and expensive wall hangers that look great but don't
      > sound very good.
      >

      > Not all bamboo flutes are inexpensive and not made well. My bamboo flutes are
      > not expensive (but more that $1 per hour of work!) but are pretty decent
      > quality. I am not trying to sell you a flute but I want to counter the idea that
      > bamboo flutes are typically junk. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of making a
      > nice flute from bamboo and would not want a bad flute to go to someone with my
      > name on it. I also tend not to decorate them very much, with the exception of a
      > hand carved totem block, I prefer for their sound to be the glitz... just my way
      > of doing things.
      >
      > Mike Jones

    • Mike Jones
      Message 36 of 36 , May 4, 2012
        The taller chimney or thicker embouchure hole is intended to make the flute
        easier to control and stabilize the notes. I have not had any problem with a
        single thickness of Black or Golden bamboo. Then again, I don't seem to have
        much problem making the TSH area in bamboo without adding more thickness,
        either. I've tried adding another thickness of bamboo on a transverse flute
        but did not find that it added any benefit for all the extra work.

        Mike Jones