Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] router

  • slotsim
    Message 1 of 44 , Aug 1 6:50 AM
      Hi
      The main reason for flying blanks is feed of the router. We all know that the router has to be fed in the proper direction so thet the workpiece is "pulled" into the fence, not pushed away. the same is true when freehand routing with the router off the table.

      See http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Articles.aspx?articleid=605

      The problem arises that a Core Bit cuts on two sides at once. So it is cutting in two directions at once. If the work piece is moved slightly on incrimental passes, say to produce an oval bore, then the rules of feeding must be observed. Inconsistancies in the wood, like knots, produce dissimilar densities from one side to the other.

      For this reason, always stand in front of the table. Do not feed the workpiece (flute blank) from the "end" of the blank (neither end!).

      Make several passes to achieve the final depth of cut. This way you are not cutting such a depth and thereby minimizing the different densities presented to the front and back of the bit.

      Work safely. use push sticks or the like, wear face shield and ear protection.

      Peace,
      Jerry

      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Bradd-CanadianMohawk" <canadianmohawk@...> wrote:

      > I've had the blank shoot so hard that it stuck in the wall about 8' away! Dangerous.
      >
      > I give my bits a touch with the file (flat side) before every use and after about 50 blanks, take the bit out and clean it with acetone. I have 2 x 7/8" bits. One in the machine, and the other away being sharpened. I could push it, but I usually send them for sharpening after about 100 blanks of soft and 60-70 of hard using this touchup and cleanig method. Dull bits and blades can kill...literally.
      >
      > Bradd

    • Jerry S
      Message 44 of 44 , Aug 13 9:58 AM
        You neeed to know YOUR limitations!!!