Re: Red Oak

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1 2:32 AM
      I don't make a lot of flutes from oak, but I do make them. I've never had a particular problem with the porous nature of the wood -- I just seal the inside of the flute pretty well. As others have noted, oak is usually not the most visually striking flute wood on its own. The exception to this rule is when you can find a figured board. It's not nearly as common as in some other species, but when it happens it actually creates a pretty bizarre looking piece of wood. Also, even plain oak looks pretty handsome when offset with something like walnut for endcaps/accents.

      -Jeremy

      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "John E.B. Rawton" <pinkjohn57@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to All for the replies. Exactly what I was looking for. I think the experience will out weigh the added effort and attention that might be required. If I don't do it, I won't know. ... :0)
      >
      > "To thine own self be true" (Shakespeare)
      >
      > John L. Pink

    • biker_joe_a1
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 1 8:34 AM
        Howdy John

        Thats tha spirit. All wood is pourous and can have air leaks Red Oak does top tha list fer shore but what tha heck if yall likes tha look.
        I fill all my bores and sac's with shellac to seal em and check for leaks. I drain and let dry and refill a couple of times. Tha shellac drys quick and will fill small leaks on its own and gives tha insides a smooth finish. Bigger leaks can be filled with sawdust and glue. I treat my soundholes and flue as I go with quick drying nail polish to harden and fill tha pores. it soaks in pretty good so I recoat a couple of times as needed as I fine tune. Put it on sand it off till its slick.
        Good Luck and remember its all fun.
        BikerJoe