  • Steve Funk
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
      When making a flute why drill holes in the end and not cut the end to get your
      fundamental note.

      Siempre recuerde:
      Ud. no deja de reír porque Ud. envejece.
      Ud. envejece porque Ud. deja de reír.
      (Always remember:
      You don’t stop laughing because you grow old,
      you grow old because you stop laughing!)
      Steve "Funky"
      funk_steve@...
      410-652-5365

    • Carl Pettit
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
        The holes are put in the flute to tune the fundamental note. By using these holes you can leave that extra length on the flute adding length and looks to your flute. So basically the holes represent the fundamental note (bottom of your flute) if you were to cut it off.
        Hope this makes sense.
        Carl

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
          Using the directional holes instead of cutting the end for the fundimental note, will I measute from the end of the flute or from the wholes to find the center and make the finger holes?--- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Steve Funk <funk_steve@...> wrote:

          > When making a flute why drill holes in the end and not cut the end to get your
          > fundamental note>

        • funk_steve
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010

            --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Carl Pettit <cedarfluteman@...> wrote:

            > The holes are put in the flute to tune the fundamental note. By using these holes you can leave that extra length on the flute adding length and looks to your flute. So basically the holes represent the fundamental note (bottom of your flute) if you were to cut it off.
            > Hope this makes sense.
            > Carl

          • Jeremy
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
              From the holes. Actually, the true acoustic end of the flute will be a little farther south than the holes themselves -- maybe 3/8 - 1/2 of an inch or so on a mid size flute. However, unless it is a really small flute, measuring from the holes should work fine. Definitely don't measure from the physical end of the flute, as that is no longer the acoustic end once you put tuning holes in.

              -Jeremy

              --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "funk_steve" <funk_steve@...> wrote:

              > Using the directional holes instead of cutting the end for the fundimental note, will I measute from the end of the flute or from the wholes to find the center and make the finger holes?--- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Steve Funk <funk_steve@> wrote:
              > >
              > > When making a flute why drill holes in the end and not cut the end to get your
              > > fundamental note>

            • Mike Jones
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
                It actually depends on how big the holes are. The bigger they are, the
                closer the acoustic end of the flute is relative to the holes. I would
                estimate that the end of the flute is normally between 1/2 and 1 bore
                diameters south of the holes. If you play with NAFlutomat, it will
                calculate the proper positions of the tuning holes as well as the
                finger holes, but YOU have to play with the finger hole sizes to
                adjust where they need to go - DO NOT use the default positions.
                Download it from the files section in the woodwinds folder.

                Mike Jones

                Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium
                "I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"