Drone Flutes

  • jadon
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2010
      I am very interested in trying my hand at creating drone flutes. Can anyone direct me to a file or post that discusses making a drone, and specifically tuning the drone?
    • Clint Goss
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2010
        Hi Jadon -

        > I am very interested in trying my hand at creating drone flutes. Can anyone direct me to a file or post that discusses making a
        drone, and specifically tuning the drone?

        A few Drone thoughts, from a player's perspective (my opinions only):

        * It's great when a double flute had two birds that can be adjusted independently. First thing I do is to tune the two sides to each
        other (or, more typically, 1 or 2 cycles out of tune to get a cool Whaaa-Whaa-Whaaa effect).

        * I really like flutes where you can easily silence the drone side. An easy way to do that is to have a small raised extension on
        the mouthpiece on the drone side ... placing you tongue lightly on that raise extension plugs up and silences the drone.

        * Thumb holes? I love them! One on the drone side so that when you open it, the drone side plays the same note as <xxx|xoo or
        <xxx|ooo on the melodic side is really nice.

        * Overblow control. This is tricky. How easily the drone side overblows is an issue. In talking with a flock of flutemakers, many
        have experienced what I call the "overblow entrainment" effect (OK, I just made that title up. But I think it fits).

        Overblow Entrainment

        The tendency for the drone side to overblow when you play the octave note (typically <oox|ooo) on the melodic side. If you play
        legato (no separation between notes) as you go up to the octave note on the melodic side, the drone side tends to stay well-behaved.
        However, if you articulate a note (i.e. begin a note with a "Ta" or "Ka" or even "Ha" attack) and you're playing the octave note on
        the melodic side, the drone tends to overblow much more easily.

        I hope this helps!

        - Clint Goss

        Email: clint@...
        Web: www.goss.com
      • Jeremy
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2010
          What specifically are you interested in as far as tuning? Do you mean how to ensure that the two bores are in tune with each other, or adding holes to allow the drone bore to have its pitch adjusted? Not sure exactly what you are asking :)

          -Jeremy

        • jhsbonds@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2010
            Actually both. Is there anything different to tuning a drone to be sure the bores are the same? I want to also add a hole to change to pitch of the drone bore. Where is this hole located relative to the length of the bore and in relation to the the other tuning holes?

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2010
              What exactly is it you want in a drone. You can configure them all
              kinds of way. Obviously, a drone is not something the ancestors would
              have made so it is all new and can be done any which way.

              Once you know what you want then look in the archives, first, then ask
              a question if you didn't find the answer.

              Hint: treat each side as an individual flute, you could use NAFlutomat
              to identify the first and only finger hole location by setting the
              pitch of the hole to a custom frequency; you will also likely want to
              use tuning holes.

              Mike Jones

            • theciampa
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2010
                The only hint I would add is that you should plan for the drone side to be slightly longer to get the same fundamental as the side with finger holes. So be sure to allow for this.
                Steve

                --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "jadon" <jhsbonds@...> wrote:

                > I am very interested in trying my hand at creating drone flutes. Can anyone direct me to a file or post that discusses making a drone, and specifically tuning the drone?

              • tejasmed
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2010
                  I do not agree that one barrel should be shorter all the time for drones.
                  When I make drones, I make both barrels a little bit longer than the expected fundamental. I use tuning direction holes to get the playing hole side. I will determine my measurement and imput calculations in flutomat as to where the tuning holes will go on the drone side.
                  When making a drone, unless you are crafting a multiple octave very complex flute, then both barrells will normally have the same fundamental note. Careful craftsmanship trying to make both TSH areas identical is a real test of skill and patience.
                  Some makers desire the drone side to be off a few cents on purpose to allow for a "discordance of sound" to make the over all drone sound more vibrating. Sometimes that is just a matter of luck on the bench.
                  Go to The Flute Shop by R Wolf and get the different keys that go together if you want a different fundamental for the drone side.
                  Then, you will shorten that side to raise your fundamental to match those keys suggested by R Wolf. Or you can move the direction tuning holes on up the barrell to the correct length from the TSH.
                  When making your first drone, try to keep it simple. Get your first one to work, in fact make several....then start experimenting with the drones with the short sides and all the extra holes.

                  Tejas

                • Mike Jones
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2, 2010
                    The other day I went to my friend's place to do my annual harvest of
                    Black bamboo. He informed me that a sizable percentage had been
                    "killed" by the cold weather this winter. I have already harvested
                    what I need for the next year and I have checked out the recently
                    "killed" bamboo and do not see any reason why it would not be suitable
                    for making flutes. If the bamboo is left much longer in the grove, it
                    will likely soon become unsuitable to use so I plan to go there in the
                    next week or so and harvest as much as I can. I know that in the past
                    I have indicated that I do not want to become a source for bamboo but
                    in this case, I would like to use the bamboo rather than let it rot
                    and cleaning it out of the grove will also help the healthy bamboo in
                    the future.

                    I have to double check but one of the groves of Golden bamboo I use is
                    likely to be bulldozed soon and I also plan to make as big a harvest
                    there as possible.

                    I have made some nice Anasazi flutes from both of these species as
                    well as NAF.

                    So here is the bottom line. If you are interested in buying some
                    bamboo, please contact me off group. I will provide as much as you
                    want. The black bamboo is typically 3/4-7/8" bore (but can be as small
                    as you want) and the golden is 3/4 - 1 1/2" bore (also can be smaller
                    if that is what you want).

                    I am not doing this so much to make a profit but to provide an
                    opportunity for those without a source of this material to use what
                    will otherwise go to waste. I will be just trying to cove my expense
                    of travel, a little time, and in some cases the propane to heat treat
                    it.

                    I hope this "advertisement" does not offend anyone.

                    Mike Jones
                    Cell [713] 515 6604
                    I'm up until 11:00 pm central time
                  • tony
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4, 2010
                      Just let me know when their ready mike ,I can use some of both,If you dont mind mailing them I'll be glad to take some off your hands,you just let me know your cost and I'll get it to you.

                      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Jones" <jonesmr@...> wrote:

                      > The other day I went to my friend's place to do my annual harvest of
                      > Black bamboo. He informed me that a sizable percentage had been
                      > "killed" by the cold weather this winter. I have already harvested
                      > what I need for the next year and I have checked out the recently
                      > "killed" bamboo and do not see any reason why it would not be suitable
                      > for making flutes. If the bamboo is left much longer in the grove, it
                      > will likely soon become unsuitable to use so I plan to go there in the
                      > next week or so and harvest as much as I can. I know that in the past
                      > I have indicated that I do not want to become a source for bamboo but
                      > in this case, I would like to use the bamboo rather than let it rot
                      > and cleaning it out of the grove will also help the healthy bamboo in
                      > the future.
                      >
                      > I have to double check but one of the groves of Golden bamboo I use is
                      > likely to be bulldozed soon and I also plan to make as big a harvest
                      > there as possible.
                      >
                      > I have made some nice Anasazi flutes from both of these species as
                      > well as NAF.
                      >
                      > So here is the bottom line. If you are interested in buying some
                      > bamboo, please contact me off group. I will provide as much as you
                      > want. The black bamboo is typically 3/4-7/8" bore (but can be as small
                      > as you want) and the golden is 3/4 - 1 1/2" bore (also can be smaller
                      > if that is what you want).
                      >
                      > I am not doing this so much to make a profit but to provide an
                      > opportunity for those without a source of this material to use what
                      > will otherwise go to waste. I will be just trying to cove my expense
                      > of travel, a little time, and in some cases the propane to heat treat
                      > it.
                      >
                      > I hope this "advertisement" does not offend anyone.
                      >
                      > Mike Jones
                      > Cell [713] 515 6604
                      > I'm up until 11:00 pm central time

                    • flores_y_tierra
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 25, 2013
                        I want to make one of these, I have the basic concept but I have a question regarding the drone side of the flute, that is the chamber that doesn't have the 5 or 6 holes of the scale.  I notice that there is a single hole on the drone side and I'm wondering what that is for and is hole tuned to any specific note?

                        I appreciate any help on this, thanks.
                      • Daniel Bingamon
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 25, 2013
                          On many drones, it's usually the same as the direction hole.  It sets the drone note and being on a hole instead of simply going out the end keep the drone at a normal note level instead of being overpowering.

                          At 07:46 PM 11/25/2013, Samzen_9@... wrote:

                          I want to make one of these, I have the basic concept but I have a question regarding the drone side of the flute, that is the chamber that doesn't have the 5 or 6 holes of the scale.  I notice that there is a single hole on the drone side and I'm wondering what that is for and is hole tuned to any specific note?

                          I appreciate any help on this, thanks.
                        • Barry Higgins
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 25, 2013
                            Why the hole on the drone side.....
                            When you drill holes in any flute you increase the volume of the tube invisibly by the sum of the area of the drilled holes. As the drone side does not have holes it has "NO" increase in invisible length. As a result when you tune the fundamentals of the two tubes you need to compensate for the pitch differences. Tune the flute side of the flute fully. On the Drone side start with a very small hole about 1/2' up the drone tube from the foot and enlarge slowly until the drone tube matches the flute side fundamental. If the two tubes are close but not exact you are likely to hear a modulating fundamental note as each side tries to take dominance.

                            Barry WC

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 25, 2013

                              Here's a video, doesn't have a lot of detail but it's a start.

                               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYAuelhbY4&feature=share&list=UUqOXOERKRoH8bEoHZsCpi1g&index=2

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 26, 2013
                                        If this is your first drone why not forget about the hole on the drone side and just concentrate on it that way. You'll find enough to challenge you...
                                         Kuz
                                         PS
                                         It's customary to but a name after you post, here and most other forums. This can help in any confusions that can pop up now and again.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 27, 2013

                                          Hey Kuz, thanks,

                                          Thanks for the reminder about the name,

                                          I think you know me from the Flute Portal

                                          Sam aka Songman