Re: Sound Hole

  • greatwave
    Message 1 of 8325 , Jul 1 6:13 AM
      I've even just glued on a whole new piece of
      veneer at the "nest/sound hole" and started that part
      over. The depth of the flue makes a big difference.
      Yesterday I had a cherry "E" flute with a 1/16th inch deep
      flue, breathy and weak, but having just put new knives
      in the joiner, I plained off half of that making the
      flue only 1/32nd inch deep. Vast improvement. I also
      made the flue wider making the sound hole wider as
      well, of course....into a rectangle (the width of the
      sound hole is twice the length of the sound
      hole)...another good improvement. Wider sound holes with shallow
      flues on larger flutes deliver the same amount of air
      as a deep narrow flue but with a wider flue, more of
      that air is delivered to the wider cutting edge(this
      sharpens the pitch slightly). More care is needed to fine
      tune the cutting edge but the result is a louder
      flute, truer tone. With the same effort (or even less
      playing effort) more air molecules are set into motion
      making waves of pressure (sound waves) in the flute
      body. The flute becomes more efficient. Fitting tools
      into a short wide sound hole is tricky so care needs
      to be taken not to errode the back edge (flue exit).
      As this is erroded (or filed on purpose) the sound
      goes from tinny to breathy. Try to make only one
      change at a time and then test the sound. Making too
      many changes at once mixes too many variables and
      teaches little about which change produced what effect. I
      think I do this kind of testing no less than 20 times
      on every flute made. Rarely does it occure that a
      sound is perfect on the first attempt.
    • Larry Odegard
      Message 8325 of 8325 , Mar 20, 2008
        There's all kind of drawings with dimensions in the
        file section. Just check it out.

        Larry O.

        --- michael beck wilkins <iain@...>
        wrote:

        > all I want is some basic measurements to get going
        > with, I have a
        > lathe so can turn and bore the wood in one piece but
        > I desperately
        > need drawings with dimensions to get started

        Larry Odegard

        Choose to have a great day!

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs