Return From White Mountain

  • David
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hello to all.

      I just returned from a week at the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation in Arizona. With stunningly beautiful yet rugged terrain, WMAIR is nestled on about 1.6 million acres of Apache Ancestral homeland. I was able to do some service projects, play with a bunch of kids, and play the flute at the rez jail which is always a treat because the guys there love it. So, for the beautiful people of White Mountain, Ndee, I can't wait to go back next year.

      I did manage to earn myself an Apache name on this trip. An Apache friend of mine gave me the name, Dokeen. Now, at first hearing this I thought that maybe it meant "plays flute like the sound of eagles" or "makes flutes like the woodpecker." But, alas, it means "white boy." :)

      dd