RE: [Native Flute Woodworking] Re: Dizi NAF

  • Clint Goss
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2009
      The paper used on a Dizi is really really REALLY thin. Much thinner and more fragile than wax paper. It's a challenge to get it on
      and glued down without causing a tear in the paper.

      The sound from that "buzz hole" (my term) is more like a soft "BZZZZZ" than reedy ...

      - Clint Goss

      Email: clint@...
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2009
        That is usually rice paper, but in a pinch you can use a roll-your-own cigarette paper.

        Yes it is a slight buzz, and not reedy. The reedy flute is the Bawu, not the Dizi.

        I usually just tape over the Dizi paper hole, and play it like a pure transverse flute. Simpler.

        Rick

        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Clint Goss <clint@...> wrote:

        > The paper used on a Dizi is really really REALLY thin. Much thinner and more fragile than wax paper. It's a challenge to get it on
        > and glued down without causing a tear in the paper.
        >
        > The sound from that "buzz hole" (my term) is more like a soft "BZZZZZ" than reedy ...
        >
        > - Clint Goss
        >
        > Email: clint@...

      • Edward Kort
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 1, 2009
          My dizi papers are onion, single layer, dried flat. As Clint stated, very hard to work with. And as Rick stated, I was taught that for practice, a piece of Scotch tape works fine - different sound but a lot less pain.

          Cheers,
          Edward Kort

          --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Rick McDaniel" <lallure1@...> wrote:

          > That is usually rice paper, but in a pinch you can use a roll-your-own cigarette paper.
          >
          > Yes it is a slight buzz, and not reedy. The reedy flute is the Bawu, not the Dizi.
          >
          > I usually just tape over the Dizi paper hole, and play it like a pure transverse flute. Simpler.
          >
          > Rick
        • ravenbear47
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2009
            Four years ago at Musical Echoes I sat in on a wonderful "Flutes of the World" workshop given by the great world flutist Suzanne Teng. She recommended plumbers gasket for the dizi. I find that it works quite well.

            Paul

            --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Kort" <edkort@...> wrote:

            > My dizi papers are onion, single layer, dried flat. As Clint stated, very hard to work with. And as Rick stated, I was taught that for practice, a piece of Scotch tape works fine - different sound but a lot less pain.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Edward Kort
          • tejasmed
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 2, 2009
              Paul:

              Define plumbers gasket please. Are you talking about the teflon tape? or
              what?
              I watched a lot of you tube Dizi flute players and the video on how to
              change the dimo.
              Inquiring minds have me wondering what it would be like to have a Dizi hole
              on a NAF about mid way from the TSH to the 6th hole. Or calculate the next
              node up from 6. There should be a point there that would resonate in a
              harmony like the transverse Dizi. Would have experimented earlier, but too
              cheap to buy a pack of dimo all the way from across the ocean.

              Tejas

              > Four years ago at Musical Echoes I sat in on a wonderful "Flutes of the
              > World" workshop given by the great world flutist Suzanne Teng. She
              > recommended plumbers gasket for the dizi. I find that it works quite well.
              >
              > Paul
            • ravenbear47
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 4, 2009
                What I have is called Oatey (brand) Thread Seal Tape with PTFE (teflon.) It's a half-inch wide thread sealant. I believe I purchased it at either Home Depot or Lowe's. Can't remember which. Hell, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. :-)

                Experiment a little bit with stretching it over the hole to get the buzzing sound.

                Hope this helps.

                Peace & Blessings,

                Paul