Re: Dipping Tanks weighted support project

  • David Allen
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
      Mike and Donn,

      Your pdf is excellent. The directions are very clear and complete and the photos really
      help clarify the points. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

      David

      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Donn Shands" <tejasmed@...> wrote:

      > Over the weekend, Mike Jones and I produced a couple of weighted
      > dipping tank holders. The basic idea of using KIEITA's idea in his
      > Shop Manual was just embellished on a bit. I just did not want to risk
      > the possibility of a tube of solution tipping over just propped up in
      > an empty trash can.
      > I am sure many of you will have comments for improvements and
      > suggestions for dipping. That is what this forum is for anyway.
      > Evolving our knowledge base.
      > Keith will eventually consolidate all the comments and improvements in
      > future up dates to the Shop Manual.
      > Look in the files section under DIPPING TANK WEIGHTED SUPPORT.
      > It is in PDF form so there are pictures and all.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Donn Shands
      > Tejas Medicineman

    • Mike Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
        Donn, for thinning shellac you use alcohol, not acetone, right?
        Acetone will dissolve PVC so any type of finish that contains it is
        not a good choice for use in the PVC tubes but you could use a
        different type of tube that is acetone safe.

        Mike Jones

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
          You can also make a vertical cradle mounting for a 3" PVC dip tank by
          sawing it out of a scrap 2x6. Make it in two pieces; then fasten one
          piece to a workbench. Then put the tube in the cradle; fasten the
          outer half to the inner half using some long wood screws.

          A Pair of these mounts work to secure a dip tank vertical quite
          nicely.

          Totsuwa

          <tejasmed@...> wrote:

          > Over the weekend, Mike Jones and I produced a couple of weighted
          > dipping tank holders. The basic idea of using KIEITA's idea in his
          > Shop Manual was just embellished on a bit. I just did not want to
          risk
          > the possibility of a tube of solution tipping over just propped up
          in
          > an empty trash can.
          > I am sure many of you will have comments for improvements and
          > suggestions for dipping. That is what this forum is for anyway.
          > Evolving our knowledge base.
          > Keith will eventually consolidate all the comments and improvements
          in
          > future up dates to the Shop Manual.
          > Look in the files section under DIPPING TANK WEIGHTED SUPPORT.
          > It is in PDF form so there are pictures and all.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Donn Shands
          > Tejas Medicineman

        • Clif Dawson
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2008
            Hang it from a hook in the ceiling. That way you can
            have it anywhere you want.

            Clif

            risk
            > the possibility of a tube of solution tipping over just propped up
            in
            > an empty trash can.
            > I am sure many of you will have comments for improvements and
            > suggestions for dipping. That is what this forum is for anyway.
            > Evolving our knowledge base.

            Recent Activity
            a.. 10New Members
            b.. 1New Files