Re: Flute in G

  • greatwave
    Message 1 of 8325 , Oct 1, 2000
      When you come to within a half step of your
      intended note...always consider running with that. But if
      the bore is smaller that what you might normally use,
      the fundemental will indeed sound rich while the rest
      of the notes may be a bit of a problem with small
      fingerholes if you have large fingers, or a jumping to that
      second note without a smooth trasition.<br> At this
      point, if you make the decision to cut it up, cut very
      small slices until you approach G, for instance. Just
      flat of G - rethink all of the options that will
      change the note. If you work the TSH any it will raise
      the note up to G (if your lucky). Sand the bore and
      it will change the note. Then get it right on key.
      Adding fingerholes will lower the fundemental again,
      slightly and yet another sliver may need to be cut off
      later.<br>When you had that F#, you were within 1/2 inch or so
      of your intended length. <br>Don't get discouraged.
      Now you know what a short fat flute is like and why
      you don't want one of those. When you lose the
      battle, don't lose the lesson.<br>My advise...get right
      back on that 3/4 bore horse and teach it a lesson.
      Mill another one and make it work. I think you'll be
      surprised at the outcome. Start with a blank that is only
      as long as your F#...that way you won't be tempted
      to cut too much off.
    • Larry Odegard
      Message 8325 of 8325 , Mar 20, 2008
        There's all kind of drawings with dimensions in the
        file section. Just check it out.

        Larry O.

        --- michael beck wilkins <iain@...>
        wrote:

        > all I want is some basic measurements to get going
        > with, I have a
        > lathe so can turn and bore the wood in one piece but
        > I desperately
        > need drawings with dimensions to get started

        Larry Odegard

        Choose to have a great day!

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs