band saw, coping saw, scroll saw

  • Beverly Nadelman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
      Thanks to Dale and Bob for their alternatives to using
      a band saw to make branch flutes when the wood won't
      split well using a knife.

      Now to find a branch appropriate for trying one of
      them out on. I think it will be the coping saw. The
      budget doesn't allow for any power tools at this
      point. I don't suppose I could use a scroll saw blade
      in a jig saw?

      Thanks again, buys-

      Beverly

      Walk in beauty on your path.

    • Bob Aldea
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
        > I don't suppose I could use a scroll saw blade in a jig saw?

        Scroll saw blades are only 5" long, so you'd need an adjustable saw
        frame like those used by jewelers. An inexpensive coping saw normally
        uses 6" blades.
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
          Hello Beverly

          I understand budget completely . Helpful hint . . . if you are going to use a jewelry or coping saw , it would help you considerably to make a bracket for cutting which is basically a board fastened down that has a circle cut out at the end of a notch on the end . This helps support the wood better yet allows a clear space for the blade to cut . The size of hole would be smaller with making detailed jewelry , but the same principle . The smaller blades are easier to break with a bad stroke . I use a 2x4 block with a gouged channel to clamp my branch to when I am gouging it out . I suspect that may be helpful to you as well while you are cutting it in half . I haven't tried that yet . Softer woods shouldn't be too much of a challenge with it . If it is , let's find someone with power tools in your area . Either way , good fortune with your journey .

          Have a great day .
          Bob

        • Rancy Sharp
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
            Bob,
            Sounds interesting. Got any pictures? I am real visual.
            Rancy

            On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Bob <bpeel3@...> wrote:

            > Hello Beverly
            >
            > I understand budget completely . Helpful hint . . . if you are going to
            > use a jewelry or coping saw , it would help you considerably to make a
            > bracket for cutting which is basically a board fastened down that has a
            > circle cut out at the end of a notch on the end . This helps support the
            > wood better yet allows a clear space for the blade to cut . The size of hole
            > would be smaller with making detailed jewelry , but the same principle . The
            > smaller blades are easier to break with a bad stroke . I use a 2x4 block
            > with a gouged channel to clamp my branch to when I am gouging it out . I
            > suspect that may be helpful to you as well while you are cutting it in half
            > . I haven't tried that yet . Softer woods shouldn't be too much of a
            > challenge with it . If it is , let's find someone with power tools in your
            > area . Either way , good fortune with your journey .
            >
            > Have a great day .
            > Bob

          • Dale Robertson
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
              A good point by Bob... Try to start with a soft wood.
              A cedar branch is easy to cut and gouge,
              and all the process can be done in one hour or two.
              You can even split it, if the grain is straight in three seconds.
              Hard woods, depending of their density could multiply the gouging time
              by two, three or four. Moreover it could be painful on your hands and
              arms.
              It may discourage you on your first attempt,
              except if you like to challenge yourself.

              Dale
              fallenbranch.com