Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] Re: Fw: [woodworkersplanshare2] Food safe finishes - A Total MYTH!!

  • Chuck Flanagan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi Russ,

      Yes, that is Bob's book. It is very interesting for those of you who have not read it.

      Chuck
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 11, 2008
        I have stopped using "wood finishing" products on my flutes all
        together. Several years ago, I started using food grade oils (grape
        seed oil, olive oil etc...) to seal and finish my flutes.

        Grape seed oil is my favorite. It has a beautiful effect on the
        grain of the wood and is edible directly from the bottle. I just buy
        it at the grocery store or local health food store. I do not
        remember whre I first got this hint, but it has been working for me
        for years.

        If I have been misled, you would never know it by looking at either
        my flutes or my good health. Has anyone else tried these types of
        oils for flute finishes? Any feedbackeither positive or negative
        would be welcome.

        Andy

        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Flanagan"
        <chuckflanagan@...> wrote:

        > I thought this was interesting.
        >
        > Chuck

        FDA
        > approved finish for wood, and all finshes are deemed food safe by
        the
        > FDA once fully cured, usually 30 days.
        > I was reading a book on finishing and the author made this point
        very
        > clearly and thoroughly backed it up with facts. So the next time I
        see
        > a can of "salad bowl finish" on the shelf, I'll probably just laugh
        and
        > feel like a sucker for ever buying into it.
        >
        > Did anyone else here know this already? If so how did you learn? I
        > myself have been guilty of explaining to new woodworkers that a
        salad
        > bowl finish is a safe finish for food, arrrrgh I hate being lied to
        and
        > made to look stupid, especially by corporations who should know
        better.

        > MJ out

      • greybeardm112
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 11, 2008
          Others have mentioned using those products as well. I have heard that
          the concern would be with the Oil going rancid over time.
          Ed

          --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Talley"