Re: Lathe Adapters

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
      D.A.

      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "D.J.Ayres"
      <riverwindflutes@...> wrote:

      > I remember a while back of someone in this group, A machinist I
      > believe, who makes jigs that fit into the headstock and tailstock of a
      > lathe that will perfectly hold a flute for turning, Is he still here
      in
      > the group.
      > Let me know
      > D.A.

    • Jason
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007

        <riverwindflutes@...> wrote:

        > I remember a while back of someone in this group, A machinist I
        > believe, who makes jigs that fit into the headstock and tailstock of a
        > lathe that will perfectly hold a flute for turning, Is he still here
        in
        > the group.
        > Let me know
        > D.A.

      • Jason
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007

          <riverwindflutes@...> wrote:

          > I remember a while back of someone in this group, A machinist I
          > believe, who makes jigs that fit into the headstock and tailstock of a
          > lathe that will perfectly hold a flute for turning, Is he still here
          in
          > the group.
          > Let me know
          > D.A.

        • Jason
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
            D.A.,

            If you only make a couple size bores, I may be able to make some for
            you. I use a standard 4-pronged center on the mouth end (before the
            mouth hole is drilled) and I turned a piece of aluminum that will go
            into the bore about 3/4" to 1" with an outer ridge to distribute the
            preasure when you tighten in the foot end. It has an inset taper to
            accept a tip from a live tailstock center. I make them double sided with
            one side the desired size of the bore and the other a tad smaller for
            those not-so-perfect bore glue-ups. Let me know what sizes you need and
            I can quote you a price. Shouldn't be more than $15 - $20 each.

            I mount the mouth end on a 4-prong center and have the live center in
            the tailstock. I find that having the piece go into the bore more makes
            for a more stable conection with an even preasure on the foot end with
            less chance of splitting. I'll try and post some pictures this weekend.
            They also come in handy for glue-up. I pop them in and it lines up the
            foot end nicely until I am all clamped up, and then you pull it out and
            clean the glue out of the bore.

            I got a nice live tailstock center from www.pennstateind.com
            <http://www.pennstateind.com> for about $20

            They have one for a #1 and #2 MT.

            You can email me at jason@... <mailto:jason@...>

            <riverwindflutes@...> wrote:

            > I remember a while back of someone in this group, A machinist I
            > believe, who makes jigs that fit into the headstock and tailstock of a
            > lathe that will perfectly hold a flute for turning, Is he still here
            in
            > the group.
            > Let me know
            > D.A.

          • bob salmon
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
              An electricians unibit, looks pretty much the same, and costs about 10.00 you can get them at electricians supply stores, I believe their made by Greenlee.

              NZT <cycoblazer@...> wrote: That would be Randy Stenzel of Feather Ridge Flutes.
              You can find him here:
              http://www.featherridgeflutes.com/pages/lathe-centers.html

              Cheers,
              Dennis

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                Hi Bob

                I havent seen a unibit .
                Have you a link i can look at

                Cheers
                Steve

                bob salmon <olboob@...> wrote: An electricians unibit, looks pretty much the same, and costs about 10.00 you can get them at electricians supply stores, I believe their made by Greenlee.

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                  I have a head stock with a Counterbore Drive center. The is drive
                  center has a 5/16 pin that will fit into the North end mouth hole of
                  the flute blank. I then put the South end of the flute in my live
                  center which has a 5/8 to 1 1/2 taper to it. The one I have was
                  part of a long hole boring kit, but can be purchases separately.

                  This should be a picture: http://www.fancygaphtrn.com/images/stories/
                  htrn/flute/Lathe/counterbore-center.jpg

                  --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com,
                  "D.J.Ayres" <riverwindflutes@...> wrote:

                  > I remember a while back of someone in this group, A machinist I
                  > believe, who makes jigs that fit into the headstock and tailstock
                  of a
                  > lathe that will perfectly hold a flute for turning, Is he still
                  here in
                  > the group.
                  > Let me know
                  > D.A.

                • Dan Arrington
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Yesterday, for the first time ever, I used a new set of adapters
                    crafted by Randy on Joey Hill's lathe.

                    They look very good and worked really well. I'd guess they'll outlast
                    the lathe itself, so at the least, this was a good value purchase.

                    When the day comes that I order my own lathe, I will definitely be
                    placing an order with Randy immediately afterwards.

                    Dan

                    --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "NZT" <cycoblazer@...>
                    wrote:

                    > That would be Randy Stenzel of Feather Ridge Flutes.
                    > You can find him here:
                    > http://www.featherridgeflutes.com/pages/lathe-centers.html
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Dennis

                  • D.J.Ayres
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Sounds interesting, Please post a couple of pictures with and without
                      a flute mounted,so that I can get a better idea what it looks like.
                      Thanks
                      D.A.

                      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jason@...>
                      wrote:

                      > D.A.,
                      >
                      > If you only make a couple size bores, I may be able to make some for
                      > you. I use a standard 4-pronged center on the mouth end (before the
                      > mouth hole is drilled) and I turned a piece of aluminum that will go
                      > into the bore about 3/4" to 1" with an outer ridge to distribute the
                      > preasure when you tighten in the foot end. It has an inset taper to
                      > accept a tip from a live tailstock center. I make them double sided
                      with
                      > one side the desired size of the bore and the other a tad smaller
                      for
                      > those not-so-perfect bore glue-ups. Let me know what sizes you need
                      and
                      > I can quote you a price. Shouldn't be more than $15 - $20 each.
                      >
                      > I mount the mouth end on a 4-prong center and have the live center
                      in
                      > the tailstock. I find that having the piece go into the bore more
                      makes
                      > for a more stable conection with an even preasure on the foot end
                      with
                      > less chance of splitting. I'll try and post some pictures this
                      weekend.
                      > They also come in handy for glue-up. I pop them in and it lines up
                      the
                      > foot end nicely until I am all clamped up, and then you pull it out
                      and
                      > clean the glue out of the bore.
                      >
                      > I got a nice live tailstock center from www.pennstateind.com
                      > <http://www.pennstateind.com> for about $20
                      >
                      > They have one for a #1 and #2 MT.
                      >
                      > You can email me at jason@... <mailto:jason@...>
                      >

                      > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "D.J.Ayres"
                      > <riverwindflutes@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I remember a while back of someone in this group, A machinist I
                      > > believe, who makes jigs that fit into the headstock and tailstock
                      of a
                      > > lathe that will perfectly hold a flute for turning, Is he still
                      here
                      > in
                      > > the group.
                      > > Let me know
                      > > D.A.

                    • Jason
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                        D.A. and others,

                        I posted some images in a new folder:

                        50
                        <http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/nativeflutewoodworking/photos/browse/b\
                        650>

                        I can make double-sided ones for $15 each for 3/4" , 7/8", 1" and $25
                        for larger than 1"

                        or you can make them yourselves if you have access to a metal lathe. I
                        make one end true size and the other downsized for those imperfect
                        bores.

                        Best wishes!

                        Jason Gianfriddo

                        jason@...

                        <riverwindflutes@...> wrote:

                        > Sounds interesting, Please post a couple of pictures with and without
                        > a flute mounted,so that I can get a better idea what it looks like.
                        > Thanks
                        > D.A.
                        >

                        > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" jason@
                        > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > D.A.,
                        > >
                        > > If you only make a couple size bores, I may be able to make some for
                        > > you. I use a standard 4-pronged center on the mouth end (before the
                        > > mouth hole is drilled) and I turned a piece of aluminum that will go
                        > > into the bore about 3/4" to 1" with an outer ridge to distribute the
                        > > preasure when you tighten in the foot end. It has an inset taper to
                        > > accept a tip from a live tailstock center. I make them double sided
                        > with
                        > > one side the desired size of the bore and the other a tad smaller
                        > for
                        > > those not-so-perfect bore glue-ups. Let me know what sizes you need
                        > and
                        > > I can quote you a price. Shouldn't be more than $15 - $20 each.
                        > >
                        > > I mount the mouth end on a 4-prong center and have the live center
                        > in
                        > > the tailstock. I find that having the piece go into the bore more
                        > makes
                        > > for a more stable conection with an even preasure on the foot end
                        > with
                        > > less chance of splitting. I'll try and post some pictures this
                        > weekend.
                        > > They also come in handy for glue-up. I pop them in and it lines up
                        > the
                        > > foot end nicely until I am all clamped up, and then you pull it out
                        > and
                        > > clean the glue out of the bore.
                        > >
                        > > I got a nice live tailstock center from www.pennstateind.com
                        > > <http://www.pennstateind.com> for about $20
                        > >
                        > > They have one for a #1 and #2 MT.
                        > >
                        > > You can email me at jason@ <mailto:jason@
                        > >

                        > > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "D.J.Ayres"
                        > > <riverwindflutes@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I remember a while back of someone in this group, A machinist I
                        > > > believe, who makes jigs that fit into the headstock and tailstock
                        > of a
                        > > > lathe that will perfectly hold a flute for turning, Is he still
                        > here
                        > > in
                        > > > the group.
                        > > > Let me know
                        > > > D.A.

                      • rfeatherhawk
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Hi D.J.

                          I'm still here with the group. It has been quite some time since I've posted anything. ( Busy
                          making flutes you know.) Anyway the lathe centers that I make can be seen at my web site
                          ( www.featherridgeflutes.com ) along with all the bore sizes they will handle. There are many
                          people here in this group that have them and are very happy with them. If you have any
                          questions you can email me direct from my web site.
                          Take care and may the spirits guide you in a good way on your journey in life.

                          Randy

                          --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "D.J.Ayres" <riverwindflutes@...> wrote:

                          > I remember a while back of someone in this group, A machinist I
                          > believe, who makes jigs that fit into the headstock and tailstock of a
                          > lathe that will perfectly hold a flute for turning, Is he still here in
                          > the group.
                          > Let me know
                          > D.A.

                        • bob salmon