Drying timber and querying Aussie timbers

  • gcjca1096
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
      Good morning All,
      Well, I've just finished flute number 4, and Am drone with a sea
      turtle fetish and embellishment, and am pleased with the result. But
      I'm keen to try some timber other than pine.

      When I was on holidays last week I came across some tree loppers who
      were trimming down some large poplars in the caravan park. Most of
      the wood went into the chipper but I managed to rescue some pieces
      which were 2 feet long and about 5 inches across. I'm keen to see if
      they want to be flutes rather than garden mulch, but haven't
      collected green limbs before.

      If anyone can refer me to an appropriate source, or advise the best
      way to dry this wood I'd appreciate it. I hear people talk about
      heart wood and sap wood, but does this limit which part of the limb
      you can use as a flute?

      Being in Australia I don't have access to the types of wood availabe
      in the US, so I'm just learning what native Australian timbers make
      the best flutes and how best to source them. If there are any Aussies
      in this forum who are keen to share their experiences with Australian
      timber I'm all ears, particularly if you've had success with silky
      oak.

      Kind regards .... Grant (Brisbane)
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
        I am a wood turner who has just been turned on to making flutes and
        can not help you witht eh specific question as to the quality of the
        woods for flutes in your area. For general information as to local
        wood and how to season it give these guys a call.
        http://www.woodturnerssocietyofqld.com/
        They are a local wood turning group in Brsbane.
        Bill

        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "gcjca1096"
        <gcjca1096@...> wrote:

        > Good morning All,
        > Well, I've just finished flute number 4, and Am drone with a sea
        > turtle fetish and embellishment, and am pleased with the result. But
        > I'm keen to try some timber other than pine.
        >
        > When I was on holidays last week I came across some tree loppers who
        > were trimming down some large poplars in the caravan park. Most of
        > the wood went into the chipper but I managed to rescue some pieces
        > which were 2 feet long and about 5 inches across. I'm keen to see if
        > they want to be flutes rather than garden mulch, but haven't
        > collected green limbs before.
        >
        > If anyone can refer me to an appropriate source, or advise the best
        > way to dry this wood I'd appreciate it. I hear people talk about
        > heart wood and sap wood, but does this limit which part of the limb
        > you can use as a flute?
        >
        > Being in Australia I don't have access to the types of wood availabe
        > in the US, so I'm just learning what native Australian timbers make
        > the best flutes and how best to source them. If there are any Aussies
        > in this forum who are keen to share their experiences with Australian
        > timber I'm all ears, particularly if you've had success with silky
        > oak.
        >
        > Kind regards .... Grant (Brisbane)

      • Larry Odegard
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
          Good morning to you,

          I have used Jurrah (which I understad is from
          Australia). Made a couple of flutes from it and love
          them.

          Larry O.

          --- gcjca1096 <gcjca1096@...> wrote:

          > Good morning All,
          > Well, I've just finished flute number 4, and Am
          > drone with a sea
          > turtle fetish and embellishment, and am pleased with
          > the result. But
          > I'm keen to try some timber other than pine.
          >
          > When I was on holidays last week I came across some
          > tree loppers who
          > were trimming down some large poplars in the caravan
          > park. Most of
          > the wood went into the chipper but I managed to
          > rescue some pieces
          > which were 2 feet long and about 5 inches across.
          > I'm keen to see if
          > they want to be flutes rather than garden mulch, but
          > haven't
          > collected green limbs before.
          >
          > If anyone can refer me to an appropriate source, or
          > advise the best
          > way to dry this wood I'd appreciate it. I hear
          > people talk about
          > heart wood and sap wood, but does this limit which
          > part of the limb
          > you can use as a flute?
          >
          > Being in Australia I don't have access to the types
          > of wood availabe
          > in the US, so I'm just learning what native
          > Australian timbers make
          > the best flutes and how best to source them. If
          > there are any Aussies
          > in this forum who are keen to share their
          > experiences with Australian
          > timber I'm all ears, particularly if you've had
          > success with silky
          > oak.
          >
          > Kind regards .... Grant (Brisbane)

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
        • gcjca1096
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
            Hi Larry,
            Jarrah is a beautiful timber, particularly for furniture, but it is
            grown in Western Australia and I'm in the east. I can buy it from a
            timber merchant but it's quite expensive.

            Still, if you don't find it too hard to work with I'll give it a go.

            I have some red gum which I cut into a blank, but it was so hard on
            the tools even the table saw choked a bit. But it will make several
            very attractive blocks.

            Thanks for your advice .. regards .. Grant

            --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Larry Odegard
            <larryodegard@...> wrote:

            > Good morning to you,
            >
            > I have used Jurrah (which I understad is from
            > Australia). Made a couple of flutes from it and love
            > them.
            >
            > Larry O.
            >

            > --- gcjca1096 <gcjca1096@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Good morning All,
            > > Well, I've just finished flute number 4, and Am
            > > drone with a sea
            > > turtle fetish and embellishment, and am pleased with
            > > the result. But
            > > I'm keen to try some timber other than pine.
            > >
            > > When I was on holidays last week I came across some
            > > tree loppers who
            > > were trimming down some large poplars in the caravan
            > > park. Most of
            > > the wood went into the chipper but I managed to
            > > rescue some pieces
            > > which were 2 feet long and about 5 inches across.
            > > I'm keen to see if
            > > they want to be flutes rather than garden mulch, but
            > > haven't
            > > collected green limbs before.
            > >
            > > If anyone can refer me to an appropriate source, or
            > > advise the best
            > > way to dry this wood I'd appreciate it. I hear
            > > people talk about
            > > heart wood and sap wood, but does this limit which
            > > part of the limb
            > > you can use as a flute?
            > >
            > > Being in Australia I don't have access to the types
            > > of wood availabe
            > > in the US, so I'm just learning what native
            > > Australian timbers make
            > > the best flutes and how best to source them. If
            > > there are any Aussies
            > > in this forum who are keen to share their
            > > experiences with Australian
            > > timber I'm all ears, particularly if you've had
            > > success with silky
            > > oak.
            > >
            > > Kind regards .... Grant (Brisbane)

            mail, news, photos & more.