Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] Easy Way to Make Flat Backwalls...Plus another tip..

  • dale thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
      I've read that the spike works too, but the notes all sound fuzzy. We don't want that. I haven't tried either yet.
      tp

      moosewinds_mike <moosewinds_mike@...> wrote:
      Those spikes and wedges are bore perturbations that are meant to taper
      the head area under the TSH. A spike (sticking out of the middle of
      the plug) would probably not be a good thing for any kind of flute
      other than a transverse flute. In order to get the full benefit out of
      adjusting the backset volume, the flute bore should either taper toward
      the foot, towart the plug, or have a slight bulge. The location of
      that bulge or the start of the taper is about 1/5 to 1/4 the way down
      the bore from the TSH. A Fajardo wedge does the trick for the head
      taper. I've tried it, and it works ok.

      Mike