Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] Re: alternate tuning.........I need your thinking cap

  • terry haugen
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
      Hello everyone this is my first time in here with a ?
      Im new to this flute makeing but i love doing it i
      just made my first flute it looks great but i get very
      little sound execpt alot of breathy sounds does anyone
      know why is my sound hole to big i had a air leak on
      the totem but fixed that still no sound HELP please
      thanks. p.s. love this site alot of good info

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Patrick Martin
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
        Not sure who I'm writing because it's not signed but I can relate, I once
        had a date like that, looked good but was kind of breathy. All kidding aside
        how deep did you make the flew? 32000 works well.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
          thanks my flew is 3200 but still cant get it right

          --- Patrick Martin <earthwalk@...> wrote:

          > Not sure who I'm writing because it's not signed but
          > I can relate, I once
          > had a date like that, looked good but was kind of
          > breathy. All kidding aside
          > how deep did you make the flew? 32000 works well.
          >
          > On 7/9/06, terry haugen <swallowman_99@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello everyone this is my first time in here
          > with a ?
          > > Im new to this flute makeing but i love doing it i
          > > just made my first flute it looks great but i get
          > very
          > > little sound execpt alot of breathy sounds does
          > anyone
          > > know why is my sound hole to big i had a air leak
          > on
          > > the totem but fixed that still no sound HELP
          > please
          > > thanks. p.s. love this site alot of good info

          > protection around
          > > http://mail.yahoo.com

          > removed]

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Larry Evans
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
            On 7/9/06 7:01 AM, "terry haugen" <swallowman_99@...> wrote:

            > thanks my flew is 3200 but still cant get it right

            Hi Terry,
            is the length of the tsh a lot longer than 7/32. If you give us more
            information as in what key the flute is, the dimensions of the flue, and
            tsh. If you haven¹t gotten Russ Wolfs Flute Shop Manual yet I would
            recommend that to you.
            http://oregonflutestore.com/home/of1/smartlist_80/flute_making_resources.htm
            l Russ is also a member of this group and gives his contact information and
            is a great guy. He got me started making flutes with his book and It has
            been my main guide on this journey other than the good folk here.
            Also Keith¹s ki-e-ta manual is very good and has many photos and is well
            written and has helped many a beginner flute maker. He also gives his
            contact information and is a good flute maker. I reviewed his manual that he
            sent me and it is especially good for the first time wood worker.
            http://www.cherrycows.com/wst_page4.html
            Enjoy the Journey,
            Larry Evans
            http://mockingbirdflutes.com

            "Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds
            sang except those that sang best."
            Henry Van Dyke

          • terry haugen
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
              Thanks larry yes my TSH is 1/4 in long myflute is
              20!1/2 in slow air chamber is 2 3/4 in bore is 3/4 ID
              if my TSH is too big can it be fixed and yes i will be
              ordering the manual from Russ Wolf thank you!!!!!!!!!
              --- Larry Evans <larrywevans@...> wrote:

              > On 7/9/06 7:01 AM, "terry haugen"
              > <swallowman_99@...> wrote:
              >

              > > thanks my flew is 3200 but still cant get it right
              > >

              > Hi Terry,
              > is the length of the tsh a lot longer than 7/32.
              > If you give us more
              > information as in what key the flute is, the
              > dimensions of the flue, and
              > tsh. If you haven¹t gotten Russ Wolfs Flute Shop
              > Manual yet I would
              > recommend that to you.

              http://oregonflutestore.com/home/of1/smartlist_80/flute_making_resources.htm
              > l Russ is also a member of this group and gives his
              > contact information and
              > is a great guy. He got me started making flutes with
              > his book and It has
              > been my main guide on this journey other than the
              > good folk here.
              > Also Keith¹s ki-e-ta manual is very good and has
              > many photos and is well
              > written and has helped many a beginner flute maker.
              > He also gives his
              > contact information and is a good flute maker. I
              > reviewed his manual that he
              > sent me and it is especially good for the first time
              > wood worker.
              > http://www.cherrycows.com/wst_page4.html
              > Enjoy the Journey,
              > Larry Evans
              > http://mockingbirdflutes.com
              >
              > "Use what talent you possess; the woods would be
              > very silent if no birds
              > sang except those that sang best."
              > Henry Van Dyke

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Larry Evans
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
                On 7/9/06 3:06 PM, "terry haugen" <swallowman_99@...> wrote:

                > Thanks larry yes my TSH is 1/4 in long myflute is
                > 20!1/2 in slow air chamber is 2 3/4 in bore is 3/4 ID
                > if my TSH is too big can it be fixed and yes i will be
                > ordering the manual from Russ Wolf thank you!!!!!!!!!
                Hi Terry,
                While looking from the mouth end of the flute down it like your sighting
                a rifle, the bottom edge of the cutting edge should be just below the floor
                of the flue 1/128 if that, and then the top of the cutting edge can have a
                slight chamfer that lowers the cutting edge down into the air stream and you
                want about a 1/64 blunt edge to the cutting edge when all of this is done.
                Dusty came up with an easy way to mark the center of the cutting edge, using
                a sharpened pencil Place the point to the cutting edge with the rest of the
                point flush to the flue then pull it strait across and that is the center of
                the cutting edge. Now adjust your bottom angle so that it comes up to almost
                the pencil line and the top edge chamfer down so that it is almost to the
                center line leaving it blunt by about 1/64. If you have made your flue about
                half the bore diameter then you should be good, if you went a lot wider than
                half; then the flue needs to be shallower, and you should use a very flat
                surface with some sand paper on it to sand the nest down a little at a time
                until it isn¹t so breathy or over blowing to easily.Then do the above steps
                to get the cutting edge in the center of the air stream. Try this because
                1/4 isn¹t that bad if everything else is correct 7/32 is a good length to
                shoot for though at least the way I do flutes and I go shorter for the
                higher flutes.