Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] Re: Flute tuning

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 12:15 AM
      Hello John

      Talking about tuning . . . have you heard of anyone else that doesn't use a 440 A on their tuner ?

      I understand Grandfather tuning . Learned that from Doc Payne , even though his special was always tuned a F# diatonic scale . Doc Payne said if you look at what the old plains flutemakers did , they would come out pretty close to that . Maybe that is just for the plains people . Living in the great southwest , the only woodlands stuff I learn is from the group .

      I will say out of all the flute makers that I have learned from . . . each one of you have taught me something different . Especially the birds , flue , & nest . So from my point of view , what ever works is right , and if you can't make it work , it must be what's right for somebody else . Thank you for sharing it with us .
      Have a great day .
      Bob

      PS - Love the branch flutes ? Just wait till you see my eagle branch . <S>

    • John Suttles
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 5:42 AM
        As far as I know, everyone uses 440 on the tuners as the base.
        In fact, I think all tuners from the manufacturer default to that
        setting.
        I would be glad to see your eagle branch flute. It pleases me
        to see people interested in making branch flutes, as that is
        the only way I make flutes anymore.

        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <sBob@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello John
        >
        > Talking about tuning . . . have you heard of anyone else that
        doesn't use a 440 A on their tuner ?

        > I understand Grandfather tuning . Learned that from Doc Payne ,
        even though his special was always tuned a F# diatonic scale . Doc
        Payne said if you look at what the old plains flutemakers did , they
        would come out pretty close to that . Maybe that is just for the
        plains people . Living in the great southwest , the only woodlands
        stuff I learn is from the group .

        > I will say out of all the flute makers that I have learned
        from . . . each one of you have taught me something different .
        Especially the birds , flue , & nest . So from my point of view ,
        what ever works is right , and if you can't make it work , it must
        be what's right for somebody else . Thank you for sharing it with
        us .
        > Have a great day .
        > Bob
        >
        > PS - Love the branch flutes ? Just wait till you see my eagle
        branch . <S>

      • Jon Sherman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1 6:30 PM
          My wood shop/garage faces out to an alley,
          across from a condo unit where a wind chime plays,
          all day if I'm lucky during this heat wave.
          For some reason I never tire of it ...
          something about its pentatonic scale, I think,
          and the egoless will of it's player. I want
          my flutes to play like that, as simple, as easy,
          as soothing as the breeze on a hot summer day.
          There is a kind of primal universality to the
          pentatonic, and I'm glad it found it's way into
          the native flute, whenever and however it did.

          Jon
          www.rokcircle.com
        • John Suttles
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1 8:59 PM
            Ah, Jon, you are enjoying life, as it was meant to be.
            I work outside under a pecan tree. Nearly every day,
            as I work, a mid sized grey bird sits and screeches at me,
            sounding so much like a hawk on the hunt. I miss him on those
            days when he is too busy to critque my work. But then I have
            the fun of watching our little cat try to stalk and then chase
            away the squirrels who are retreiving their buried pecans
            from last year. Life is indeed wonderful, if only we take time to
            relax and let our sences take it in. That is some of the joys,
            and rewards of crafting our flutes.

            --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Sherman"
            <jon@...> wrote:

            > My wood shop/garage faces out to an alley,
            > across from a condo unit where a wind chime plays,
            > all day if I'm lucky during this heat wave.
            > For some reason I never tire of it ...
            > something about its pentatonic scale, I think,
            > and the egoless will of it's player. I want
            > my flutes to play like that, as simple, as easy,
            > as soothing as the breeze on a hot summer day.
            > There is a kind of primal universality to the
            > pentatonic, and I'm glad it found it's way into
            > the native flute, whenever and however it did.
            >
            > Jon
            > www.rokcircle.com

          • Patrick Martin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2 12:11 AM
              Happy to say Jon that you're hooked for life, lol, how beautiful and peace
              bringing are the words behind this gift we all share, thank you, Patrick

              On 7/1/06, Jon Sherman <jon@...> wrote:

              > My wood shop/garage faces out to an alley,
              > across from a condo unit where a wind chime plays,
              > all day if I'm lucky during this heat wave.
              > For some reason I never tire of it ...
              > something about its pentatonic scale, I think,
              > and the egoless will of it's player. I want
              > my flutes to play like that, as simple, as easy,
              > as soothing as the breeze on a hot summer day.
              > There is a kind of primal universality to the
              > pentatonic, and I'm glad it found it's way into
              > the native flute, whenever and however it did.
              >
              > Jon
              > www.rokcircle.com

            • Clif Dawson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2 5:45 AM
                Here's a couple of sites that might help ( or confuse! :-) ).

                http://www.earthmatrix.com/piano/octave.htm

                http://www.uk-piano.org/history/pitch.html

                Clif

                What a wonderful day today! I got to fly in a
                1942 tiger Moth!

                As far as I know, everyone uses 440 on the tuners as the base.
                In fact, I think all tuners from the manufacturer default to that
                setting.
                I would be glad to see your eagle branch flute. It pleases me
                to see people interested in making branch flutes, as that is
                the only way I make flutes anymore.

                New Message Search
                Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

                Share feedback on the new changes to Groups

                Recent Activity
                a.. 13New Members
                b.. 8New Photos
                c.. 1New Links