Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] Greetings!

  • stengerwbh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , May 6 8:48 AM
      Hi
      If you are interested in making flutes check out the Ki-e-ta's manual
      at www.cherrycowc.com this is no doubt the best manual I have ever seen I
      have 4 different manuals and this is the best. He even puts in his "E" mail
      address in case you get stuck or hung up on something and it is only $15.00 what
      a deal for the information that is their.
      Bob from Pa.

    • Don Moore
      Message 2 of 24 , May 7 4:15 PM
        If you are interested in making flutes check out the Ki-e-ta's
        manual at www.cherrycowc.com
        Hi Bob--

        I failed several times to access that site. Would you check it and re-
        post it for us? I have an out of province nephew that wants to get
        into making flutes and I promised him I would help him out. A good
        manual would be ideal for him, as he already has pretty good
        woodworking skills.

        Oldmoore
      • Mark DeCou
        Message 3 of 24 , May 7 4:36 PM
          www.cherrycows.com

          Mark DeCou
          mark@...
          www.decoustudio.com
          620-273-8992
          If you are interested in making flutes check out the Ki-e-ta's

          Message 4 of 24 , May 7 6:50 PM
            Hey Don.
            This the other Bob lol He got the name wrong its
            www.cherrycows.com
            That should get it for you take care my friend.
            Bob Runningbear

            yo-nv- a-di-si_____

            _____________********_________________

            Children are hereiditary
            If your Mother and Dad never had any
            Chances are you won't have any either.

            Message 5 of 24 , May 9 10:22 AM
              On 5/7/06 6:15 PM, "Don Moore" <kinikinik@...> wrote:

              > If you are interested in making flutes check out the Ki-e-ta's
              > manual at www.cherrycowc.com
              > Hi Bob--
              >
              > I failed several times to access that site. Would you check it and re-
              > post it for us? I have an out of province nephew that wants to get
              > into making flutes and I promised him I would help him out. A good
              > manual would be ideal for him, as he already has pretty good
              > woodworking skills.
              >
              > Oldmoore
              >

              > Hi Oldmoore,
              > If you have some woodworking experience another great book is by Russ Wolf
              > and can be picked up by going to the Oregon flute store go to the flute makers
              > resources in the list of what they offer,
              >
              > http://oregonflutestore.com/
              >
              > Also in the flute making resources there is a DVD by Raymond Redfeather that
              > is good.
              > Enjoy the Journey,
              > Larry

            • btinsley785
              Message 6 of 24 , May 20 8:20 AM
                My name is Bob Tinsley. I live in Colorado Springs and am an engineer and woodcarver. I specialize in Santas and Welsh lovespoons. I just purchased my first flute and am making preparations for making a flute using only human-powered tools, bent knives, hand saws, spokeshaves and hand drills. Even though I am what woodworkers call a "galoot", I don't begrudge anyone the use of power tools. Just don't try to get me to use them! I hate the noise, smell and dust! I am also a bit of a minimalist. I have all my tools in one 23"x8"x10" tool box that I can take anywhere with me. Except possibly on a commercial airplane. The TSA would probably get a little sticky about the knives!

                I'm looking forward to participating here. Just in the short time I've been here I can already see you need more hand-tool users!

                Bob
              • Anthony
                Message 7 of 24 , May 20 8:31 AM
                  Welcome Bob,you have more company than you realize,Beware of the addiction,Makes people dig through brush piles uncontrolably and no xmas tree is safe ever again lolol,welcome.
                • Michael Jones
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 20 8:41 AM
                    I am going to guess that browsing through the archived messages about "branch flute" or "gouge" will probably get you started as well as browsing through the files section. In the Photo section you can see many flutes that we have made, some hand carved, some not. Personally, I make bamboo flutes and love it. Each piece of bamboo is unique and a special challenge of its own.

                    Watchout for that Tejas Medicineman, once he sees you are a hand carver he'll be all over you! LOL

                    I think you'll find us all pretty hospitable alothough like any group we sometimes have some dicussions that can get a bit warm.

                    Welcome aboard.

                    Mike Jones

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 20 9:03 AM
                      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "cherokeecraigg" <cherokeecraig@...> wrote:

                      > Hello everyone. Can't wait to share ideas.

                      HOWDY HOWDY HOWDY.
                    • White Bear
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 20 9:04 AM
                        Bob-
                          I also choose to use hand tools only.  the only power tool I own and use is an old hand drill.  All sanding, carving and cleaning out the blanks are done by hand.  I must admit, I do not make wooden flutes, my materials are a bit more naturally hollow.  I use gourds and sunflower stalks.  You can view some of my flutes in the file section under the sha_man_1 file.  Check out the past posts, there you will find so much gold it may be overwhelming.  It will take you some time to read everything there but many of your questions will be answered. Enjoy the ride.  Be well
                        Many Blessings
                        White Bear

                        Singing Mouse Shamanic
                            Learning Center
                               http://singingmouse.org

                        My name is Bob Tinsley. I live in Colorado Springs and am an engineer and woodcarver. I specialize in Santas and Welsh lovespoons. I just purchased my first flute and am making preparations for making a flute using only human-powered tools, bent knives, hand saws, spokeshaves and hand drills. Even though I am what woodworkers call a "galoot", I don't begrudge anyone the use of power tools. Just don't try to get me to use them! I hate the noise, smell and dust! I am also a bit of a minimalist. I have all my tools in one 23"x8"x10" tool box that I can take anywhere with me. Except possibly on a commercial airplane. The TSA would probably get a little sticky about the knives!

                        I'm looking forward to participating here. Just in the short time I've been here I can already see you need more hand-tool users!

                        Bob

                      • tejasmed
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 20 9:22 AM
                          Bob:

                          I am not all that bad, but due to time limitations in the shop, I still use
                          drill press, bandsaw and Foredom.
                          Mike trys to teach me bamboo, I prefer branch flutes. We compromise and
                          visit each other's shop and do both.
                          Check the messages from about a week or so ago, there was a nice discussion
                          of all the tools we carry in our "Go Sack" of tools we take with us in the
                          field.

                          Donn Shands
                          Tejas Medicineman
                        • David
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 20 11:16 AM
                            Welcome to the group Bob.
                            dd

                            --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "btinsley785" <RobertT785@...> wrote:

                            > My name is Bob Tinsley. I live in Colorado Springs and am an engineer and woodcarver. I specialize in Santas and Welsh lovespoons. I just purchased my first flute and am making preparations for making a flute using only human-powered tools, bent knives, hand saws, spokeshaves and hand drills. Even though I am what woodworkers call a "galoot", I don't begrudge anyone the use of power tools. Just don't try to get me to use them! I hate the noise, smell and dust! I am also a bit of a minimalist. I have all my tools in one 23"x8"x10" tool box that I can take anywhere with me. Except possibly on a commercial airplane. The TSA would probably get a little sticky about the knives!
                            >
                            > I'm looking forward to participating here. Just in the short time I've been here I can already see you need more hand-tool users!
                            >
                            > Bob

                          • David Allen
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 20 11:48 AM
                              Hi Bob, I am also a hand tool person. I hate saw dust. I would rather see those little curly-Q wood shavings everywhere. I do occasionally use some modest power tools, but I prefer doing everything by hand.

                              Welcome to the group.

                              David

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 20 5:29 PM
                                Thanks for the effusive welcome! It's nice to know I'm not the only galoot here.

                                Bob T
                              • little_raven_flutes
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 22 11:27 AM
                                  Bob,

                                  Mitakuye Oyasin,

                                  Jeremy

                                  --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "btinsley785" <RobertT785@...> wrote:

                                  > My name is Bob Tinsley. I live in Colorado Springs and am an engineer and woodcarver. I specialize in Santas and Welsh lovespoons. I just purchased my first flute and am making preparations for making a flute using only human-powered tools, bent knives, hand saws, spokeshaves and hand drills. Even though I am what woodworkers call a "galoot", I don't begrudge anyone the use of power tools. Just don't try to get me to use them! I hate the noise, smell and dust! I am also a bit of a minimalist. I have all my tools in one 23"x8"x10" tool box that I can take anywhere with me. Except possibly on a commercial airplane. The TSA would probably get a little sticky about the knives!
                                  >
                                  > I'm looking forward to participating here. Just in the short time I've been here I can already see you need more hand-tool users!
                                  >
                                  > Bob

                                • btinsley785
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 22 5:57 PM
                                    Thanks, Jeremy. That is a very useful and informative post!

                                    Bob

                                    --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "little_raven_flutes" <little_raven_flutes@...> wrote:

                                    > Bob,

                                    > Mitakuye Oyasin,
                                    >
                                    > Jeremy

                                  • Tim
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 10, 2013

                                      Aloha from Hulaland!

                                      Between the Hawaii Powwow Trail and Native American Heritage Month, I was able to meet a couple good players and makers. Between Sings (I'm on an inter-tribal Drum), I was able to sit and talk with an artist /maker named Wes Ricks for a bit. He inspired me to take action on an already formed idea and start on the road to making my first flute. His love of woods and music really showed.

                                      I now have three instruments in my quiver, to not only learn to play, but as ideas to strive for. A carved Cicada from Michael Graham Allen, a Pueblo from Geoffrey Ellis, and a Shakuhachi from Monty Levenson. I look forward to finding my own style in both playing and making, no matter how long or short the path is for me.

                                      I look forward to reading and learning from you and the members of this group.

                                      Next step: waiting on a lathe class to start.

                                      Happy Holidays!

                                      Tim Woodard

                                    • kingwindjammer
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 10, 2013
                                        Welcome!
                                        I don't have room/financial resources for a lathe so I built one using an old sewing machine motor.
                                        To my astonishment, it actually works!
                                        Makes a big difference in getting a more accurate wall thickness.
                                        Have a happy!
                                      • Michael Jones
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 10, 2013
                                          Nice choice in flutes. You don't need a lathe to make nice looking and more importantly playing flutes. You can start now and focus on the initial learning and best practices. being in intimate contact with the wood or other materials is a good thing that is reduced with more power tools. Hand tools force you to work slower and think more, which is very good at the beginning of your journey.

                                          Soon you will have to choose one of those types of flutes to make and although there is some crossover learning, they are also pretty different. Have fun.

                                          Mike Jones

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 11, 2013
                                            Windjammer,
                                            Have you posted any pictures of your home made lathe? I would be interested in seeing what it looks like. I have been looking at some possibilities for making a large lathe.
                                          • kingwindjammer
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 11, 2013

                                              The only pictures I have at the moment are of my prototype. I've done some tweaking on it after these were taken. I had to do some brace work here and there and I've got some ideas for better centering methods that I'm going to try out next. This isn't a large lathe. It's just long enough to handle up to a 30 inch blank. I was amazed that it worked the first time I tried it!

                                              Found out real quick that I need to be more careful gluing the two half's together. The practice flute you see in the picture slipped in the clamps while gluing so the bore was askew. That made one wall just right on one side and blew out a big hole on the other. When the weather gets warmer, I'll do a video. I don't have a shop so I have to wait for the snow to melt.

                                              I'm not sure if the links will work. If not, I'll upload them in the file section.
                                              Lathe1
                                              Lathe2
                                              Lathe3
                                            • Brent Adams
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 11, 2013

                                                That looks like it’s pretty cool! Nicely done!

                                                Brent

[...]

                                                No virus found in this message.

                                                No virus found in this message.