Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] bamboo flutes

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hello John
      When I made a bamboo flute it was about 7/8" , I glued a piece of pine that
      I had rounded to fit the proximal end & then drilled & shaped it as if it
      was a wooden flute . It worked good enough that I still play it sometimes .
      I also made one where I drilled a hole in the membrane that closes the
      chamber , but it's pretty thin & easy to screw up . I was told for the TSH
      the width needs to be half of your ID , but for 1 1/8" you could try 1/2"
      and if it didn't sound strong enough then widen it to 9/16" . Hope that
      helps .

      Have a great day .
      sBob

      > OK guys and gals out there I have a question. I have come across some
      > bamboo
      > that has an inside diamater of 1 1/8 inches. I have never seen a bamboo
      > flute of this size, and I have never made a flute out of bamboo. Will it
      > work if I make the chamber about 25" long and the TSH 1/2 inch. Also what
      > would be the best way to make a mouthpeice for bamboothat large?
      > Thanks,
      > John

      > Service.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Pan
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
        beeeswax has too low of a melting point. it would have to be kept in
        a really cool place, and it gets sticky just like a didge on the
        bigger bamboo NAF's i like to use a root end small enough to fit
        inside the bamboo preferable at a joint. if you have to place it
        between joints, bind it before you start trying to fit it. if the
        wall thickness is thick enough you can taper the flute end of the
        mouth piece, wrap it with sandpaper and lap it into a nice snug,
        tight fit and make it removeable for cleaning and drying out. the
        mouth end can be shaped or carved anyway you'd like. (lightbulb!!!
        carved mouthpieces...hhmmmm?)
        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Blaisdell"
        <jdb967@...> wrote:

        > I'd take some beeswax and make a donut out of it. Apply it to the
        end of the bamboo and shape as desired. Use a hail dryer to soften it
        when working it. I did that for a pvc dijeridoo, worked fine.

        > Jeff

      • Jim Fredrick
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
          only done a couple ,turned a mouth piece. on the lathe .
          could be done with a knife. used a tendon on it to
          help prevent a air leak.glued the tendon to the bamboo.
          it worked . but have only done a couple.
          Jim

          OK guys and gals out there I have a question. I have come across some bamboo
          that has an inside diamater of 1 1/8 inches. I have never seen a bamboo
          flute of this size, and I have never made a flute out of bamboo. Will it
          work if I make the chamber about 25" long and the TSH 1/2 inch. Also what
          would be the best way to make a mouthpeice for bamboothat large?
          Thanks,
          John

        • Steve Call
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006

            >I'd take some beeswax and make a donut out of it. Apply it to the end of
            >the bamboo and shape as desired. Use a hail dryer to soften it when working
            >it. I did that for a pvc dijeridoo, worked fine.

            This method is old. An Aboriginal elder showed me this one in Moree, 15
            years ago. The secret, he claimed, was to have a few drinks before hand
            (pain deadening ones, of course <chuckle>) and put your mouth against the
            wax whilst it is still hot enough to be workable. This gives you a highly
            personalised mouth piece on your flute.

            I'm not so sure about the benefits of this, and yes, there is a chance he
            was having a belly laugh at my expence, but I sure wasn't confident enough
            to call the old man a liar!

            For what it's worth,
            Steve
          • cycoblazer@cox.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 2006
              I have done them both ways.
              Each way has it's own apeal. Sanding it all the way to a high gloss is most attractive though.
              I only wax and polish mine.

              Cheers,
              Dennis

              ---- cedarfluteman <cedarfluteman@...> wrote:
              > Do most of you who make flutes from bamboo sand the outer coating off
              > or just leave it all natural. Does it make a difference? And what is
              > best for a finish? Or can you just leave it the way it is and not worry
              > about it?
              > Carl

            • Michael Jones
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 2006
                Personally, I like the natural look of the bamboo. I leave the outer covering "bark" on and also do not sand down the node rings. I sometimes have to be careful of my finger hole placement so that a node ring does not cause problems. I did do the most recent exchange flute a bit different in that I sanded the bark off the SAC area and the loon head at the south end so that I could have some woodburned decoration show up better, but I left the most of the sound chanber natural.

                I use oil finish on the outside as well as the inside of the bamboo.

                Mike Jones