What Glue do you use, and Why????

  • Daniel J. Perra
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      This is a general question regarding the glue used to glue up your
      flute after routing. What glue do you use? Why, pros, cons?

      I have seen references to using CA (a.k.a. Super Glue), and
      polyurethane.

      Thanks
      Dan

      .
    • healing_didj
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        I use Gorilla Glue because it's what I have. :) I add a couple drops
        of water first and let it foam up and then I spread that VERY thinly
        and clamp it up. I get very little squeeze out if I foam it first. But
        there's always some, so I swab out the bore before it dries up too
        hard. The outside is easily dealt with. If I weren't using Gorilla
        Glue, I'd probably be using TiteBond because that's what most folks on
        here apparently use.

        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel J. Perra"
        <dan-sr@p...> wrote:

        > This is a general question regarding the glue used to glue up your
        > flute after routing. What glue do you use? Why, pros, cons?
        >
        > I have seen references to using CA (a.k.a. Super Glue), and
        > polyurethane.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Dan
        >
        > .

      • Steve Wells
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
          Hello Dan,

          I've been pleased with TightBond 3 for all but flutes made with very
          light colored wood. Since it's a kind of light brown I can see a faint
          hair line seam on even well-fitted seams of light wood. I suppose if my
          seams were perfect maybe it would be undetectable, but I'm not there
          yet. In the mean time, I use TightBond 2 for light colored woods, since
          it's yellow in color, but still water proof like TB3.'

          SteveW

          sr@p...> wrote:

          > This is a general question regarding the glue used to glue up your
          > flute after routing. What glue do you use? Why, pros, cons?
          >
          > I have seen references to using CA (a.k.a. Super Glue), and
          > polyurethane.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Dan
          >
          > .

        • Mike Davis
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
            --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "healing_didj"
            <cparker.reikimaster@g...> wrote:

            > I use Gorilla Glue because it's what I have. :) I add a couple drops
            > of water first and let it foam up and then I spread that VERY thinly
            > and clamp it up. I get very little squeeze out if I foam it first.

            Well, I'll be diggle-danged, I never thought of that! I've always
            been frustrated with the foam-out (if that's what it's called) after
            clamping. Great tip.