Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] NAF making

  • dale thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi Frank,

      When I first read your question I couldn't imagine what the problem might be. After time passed I remember I had a problem that was similar. The difference is, when I first made the flute it worked alright, but a few days later it wouldn't play the lower notes. The day I made the holes it was very humid and damp and the day it stopped playing it was sunny and dry. It was a puzzlement.

      I took the flute in the kitchen and ran a small amount of water on the exterior of the flute and low and behold it went back playing. As I suspected, there was an extremely small crack in the Bamboo which stopped resonation below its residence. The bit of water sealed the crack temporarily, when it dried it quit playing again and when it was dampened it started back playing. I located the place where the nearly invisible crack resided and put thin CA on thet location. Then, as a famous illusionist is known to say, "As if by magic" the flute gave its music for all who were nearby to hear. Now the flute, the crack the CA sealer and the music all live happily together.

      Rather than running water on the flute and chancing getting too much water inside you might want to use a nearly dripping wet cloth to give the outside of the flute in question a nice wet rinse.

      I hope your flute problem is as easy to solve as mine was.

      Dale T.

      fgianzero <fgianzero@...> wrote:
      hello to all, I am new at making NAF.the last two flutes that I made
      seem to have a problem. The first top three holes seem to play fine.
      however the bottom three holes will not play well at all. Can some one
      tell me what I may be doing wrong. Oh by the way the material that I
      had used was bamboo. If that makes a difference. Please Help the novice
      flute maker.
      Thank you, Frank G.