Re: [Native Flute Woodworking] Re: How to tune...?

  • skiptoad
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      blusquirrel_146 - if you have Windows 98SE, depending on the sound board and accompanying software that came with your machine, you may already have a program called "Creative Launcher". You can find it by clicking: Start, Programs, Creative, Creative Launcher or it might be in a subfolder under Creative. When it opens, it will appear as a thin line at top left edge of your screen and just sit there. You must move the cursor over to it and it will either open on its own or you will have to click on it. Once it opens, it will appear as a narrow window about an inch high x 5 in wide. It will have a number of sound/music related capabilities. At bottom right on the window you will see opposing arrows, pointing left and right. Click the right arrow and you will see options scrolling to your left... Sound Graph, Speaker, Sound Font, Keyboard, Environmental... Click on "Keyboard". A small piano keyboard will appear in the middle of your screen. It has many optional sounds and you can click each key with the mouse or using keys on your keyboard. You will want to adjust volume (lower right in tool tray at bottom of screen). You can select from a large number of sounds and even enter your own voice that the keyboard can use for tone on all pitches. Each note will show what it is when you move the cursor over it the first second or two, by tiny popup windows. This is what I use to tune my flutes. I select "plan flute" as the tonal choice because it is closest IMO to the NAF sound among the standard choices. However, I could record a clip from one of my NAF's and use that tone for all notes on the keyboard. Most of us have a wealth of software on our machines that we never knew existed - if any of you have Creative Launcher it can be useful for tuning NAF.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
        I've done a search on Windows XP and nothing shows up
        under "Creative Launcher".
        Does anyone know if there is something similar on XP
        to that discussed below?

        Larry

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • george_goldstone@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
          Creative Launcher is an old program made by "Creative Labs" that
          came with certain versions of SoundBlaster sound cards. If you don't
          already have it on your computer I doubt you can find it.

          If you're interested in tuning with the computer...

          I use a program called "Chromatia Tuner" from www.fmjsoft.com you
          can download and try for free, it costs $20 to register. I like it a
          lot especially in Full Screen mode on the laptop because of the
          large display but the laptop can get really dusty in my workshop. A
          cool feature that I like is a built in tone generator so you can
          hear what the note should sound like but I don't really use that for
          tuning, it's just cool. There are quite a few other tuner programs
          out there if you want to try others too.

          --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Larry Odegard