Re: cleaning lettering off PVC Pipe

  • Leonard
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hello Karen,
      hat sounds like a good idea. I have also taken the ink off with
      acetone this will work with CA glue also.

      Leonard
    • Don A.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2004
        Acetone will work also.
        Don A.

        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "karen"
        <isyoneckred@y...> wrote:
        > hello, all. in case anyone was wondering, i have found a way to
        take
        > the ink off of PVC Pipe. for some of you who may make flutes out of
        > PVC Pipe. i used some Softscrub,with Bleach of course and a brillo
        > pad. it seemed to bring the ink off pretty good. I rubbed the pipe
        > with a lil' bit of softscrub, let it sit for about a minute, then
        > went to work with the Brillo pad. i had read somewhere that it was,
        > bit diffacult to take the ink off the pipe, so i tried this. i hope
        > this can help someone, out there. Peace~Karen
      • Ken Johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2004
          Acetone works best for me. I use rubber gloves and paper towels. If
          you're going to paint pvc sand it lightly with wet 400 grit wet or
          dry paper. It makes paint bond better.

          Ken Johnson

          Flute blanks and finished flutes
          Website= http://fluteblanks.com/
          E-mail= mailto:kjohnso9@...
          Ph 256-638-6245
        • Mike Davis
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1 5:03 PM
            --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Johnson"
            <kjohnso9@f...> wrote:
            > Acetone works best for me. I use rubber gloves and paper towels. If
            > you're going to paint pvc sand it lightly with wet 400 grit wet or
            > dry paper. It makes paint bond better.

            Has anyone tried staining or dying the PVC? Just curious because I
            made a flute case out of PVC and the paint chipped off fairly quickly
            even tho I sanded and primed.
          • Karen albrecht
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2 8:43 AM
              Hi to All, I was thinking about using my woodburner to burn, some images into the pvc pipe. i'am thinking with this though, if it were to be burned on plastic it, would bubble, but i'am certanly gonna try on a scrap piece first. i have painted pvc before and it dosen't hold up well. i was also, thinking about lightly sanding a scrap piece, then using some kind of wood stain. well, the only way we are gonna know is try it! Thanks to evryone for all their input, Peace~Karen

              <kjohnso9@f...> wrote:
              > Acetone works best for me. I use rubber gloves and paper towels. If
              > you're going to paint pvc sand it lightly with wet 400 grit wet or
              > dry paper. It makes paint bond better.

              Has anyone tried staining or dying the PVC?  Just curious because I
              made a flute case out of PVC and the paint chipped off fairly quickly
              even tho I sanded and primed.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • martay6taylor
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2 3:40 PM
                --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Karen albrecht
                <isyoneckred@y...> wrote:
                > Hi to All, I was thinking about using my woodburner to burn, some
                images into the pvc pipe. i'am thinking with this though, if it were
                to be burned on plastic it, would bubble, but i'am certanly gonna try
                on a scrap piece first.
                Hi, Karen-
                Be very careful... if I'm not mistaken, fumes from burned PVC are very
                hazardous to breath... or it may just be certain varieties, i.e. cpvc.
                Until you find out for certain, at least do it in a very well
                ventilated space if not outdoors. I could be wrong, but in something
                like this, rather be wrong than dead right.
                Wes
              • cole_wells@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2 3:41 PM
                  They do sell a type of paint that is designed for painting RC car bodies that are made from Lexan that I think would probably hold up alot better on PVC than most other paint typs.
                     Im sure that it could be found at most hobby stores that would sell the clear Lexan bodys.
                    Just a thought?
                                              Cole

                  <kjohnso9@f...> wrote:
                  > Acetone works best for me. I use rubber gloves and paper towels. If
                  > you're going to paint pvc sand it lightly with wet 400 grit wet or
                  > dry paper. It makes paint bond better.

                  Has anyone tried staining or dying the PVC?  Just curious because I
                  made a flute case out of PVC and the paint chipped off fairly quickly
                  even tho I sanded and primed.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • shaggyga
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3 4:10 AM
                    --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Davis"
                    <leviolberton@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Johnson"
                    > <kjohnso9@f...> wrote:
                    > > Acetone works best for me. I use rubber gloves and paper towels.
                    If
                    > > you're going to paint pvc sand it lightly with wet 400 grit wet
                    or
                    > > dry paper. It makes paint bond better.
                    >
                    > Has anyone tried staining or dying the PVC? Just curious because I
                    > made a flute case out of PVC and the paint chipped off fairly
                    quickly
                    > even tho I sanded and primed.

                    > Hi Mike. I have posted a couple of pictures of a stained PVC flute
                    in the TWO FEATHERS photo album. This flute was sanded with 60 grit
                    paper to produce deep grooves,then sanded with 150 grit. I then
                    rubbed it with a gel stain that was very dark. After wiping off the
                    excess stain and letting it dry, I then proceeded to put 8 more
                    coats of a lighter stain letting it dry in between each coat until I
                    got the color I desired. Then the flute was sprayed with
                    polyurethane after the stain had dried and after a very light
                    buffing with 0000 steel wool. I should have done the inside too but
                    we live and learn I guess. Hope this helps you out.

                    > Darrell Allen
                  • Dan LaClair
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 3 8:59 AM
                      <leviolberton@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Johnson"
                      > <kjohnso9@f...> wrote:
                      > > Acetone works best for me. I use rubber gloves and paper towels.
                      If
                      > > you're going to paint pvc sand it lightly with wet 400 grit wet
                      or
                      > > dry paper. It makes paint bond better.
                      >
                      > Has anyone tried staining or dying the PVC? Just curious because I
                      > made a flute case out of PVC and the paint chipped off fairly
                      quickly
                      > even tho I sanded and primed.
                      There is a method of staining that is fairly easy to do. Use the
                      sandpaper to rough up the surface and get rid of the lettering then
                      place the pipe in a larger one that is capped and sealed at one end.
                      Put three or four tea bags in there with the one to be stained, then
                      fill with hot water, let it sit for about a week then take out the
                      pipe and see if it is the colour that you desire. Drain off the tea
                      water and fill the tube with vinegar and put the flute blank back in
                      and let it sit for a couple of hours.
                      We used to use this method for staining bone, and were very satisfied
                      with it.
                      Shukawashta(Spiritdog)